Spacers and ET40 alloys

barkclark

Reaction score
Just got a set of 18"x8J ET40 alloys with 235/40 tyres fitted to my car and was wondering what spacers I could run.

The fronts look not bad, could do with being out a little. Rears are better but are still a little tucked. I also tow a small trailer tent.

Car isn't lowered but I may get the eibach pro kit.

It's also looking low at the back because it's loaded with my old alloys haha

Would 8mm spacers on the rear work?

ena2epyj.jpg

umebe9y9.jpg

Last edited:
All depends on the look you want, typically on an 8J wheel an ET of 30-35 is somewhere handy, unless you want to go to extremes.

All depends on the look you want, typically on an 8J wheel an ET of 30-35 is somewhere handy, unless you want to go to extremes.

I suppose I could get 8mm ones then for an ET32 on the back. And if I think I want to go further I'll put the 8's on the front then go wider at the back.

I've seen some spacers on eBay etc. If they don't come with bolts how do I know what bolts to get?

In my experience reputable spacers always comes with bolts. None reputable spacers speak for themselves...

I've seen used eibach ones on eBay, just without the bolts. Ideally I'd like to get the bolts with them.

You will probably struggle to fit anything less than 10mm on the rear because of the lip on the hub. Even with a 10mm you will probably need to knock the centre nut dust cover off.

Ive bought off dpm performance on here before in a few different thicknesses and they've always come with longer bolts.

There seems to be a bit of a myth on here that anything under 10mm doesn't have a locating lip on it yet I've got some 8mm on the front that do have locating lips.

I'm also running 15mm on the rear and a big drop and 225's which causes a very slight rub on 1 side under heavy cornering so I'm going to have to buy either 12's or 13's to give the extra couple of millimeters clearance.

Reactions: barkclark
I'm not talking about the lip on the spacer mate, I'm talking about the lip on the rear hub of the car.

It protrudes 10mm meaning anything hubcentric (which means it has a locating lip on it) that's thinner than the locating lip on the hub, physically won't fit over it.

I'm not talking about the lip on the spacer mate, I'm talking about the lip on the rear hub of the car.

It protrudes 10mm meaning anything hubcentric (which means it has a locating lip on it) that's thinner than the locating lip on the hub, physically won't fit over it.

So does this mean that some spacers won't fit?

Get the Eibach's on first.

Then buy just a pair of 8/10 mm your call and do a test fit on 1 side, drive around the block and observe.

When I did this to my Passat I could see the front had too much poke, so I ordered the 2nd pair 5mm less.

Get the Eibach's on first.

Then buy just a pair of 8/10 mm your call and do a test fit on 1 side, drive around the block and observe.

When I did this to my Passat I could see the front had too much poke, so I ordered the 2nd pair 5mm less.

Yeah I may do that! Any idea where to get extended bolts? I think I'll just hang off for ones that come with bolts..

Lots of 10mm with extended bolts on ebay from £30.

OE alloys you need radius bolts , copy/aftermarket require tapered.

I wasn't meaning you pal, all I was saying was that I've seen it said on here that you cant get hubcentrics any less than 10mm which is wrong as you can get 8mm hubcentrics. I've never put anything other than 15's on the rear so i wouldn't know what does or doesn't fit

Yeah, you have to be careful as not all 10mm spacers fit either.

Your best bet is buying from somewhere like DPM Performance as Damian will be able to tell you what will fit. If you buy a set without bolts they are readily available on eBay, just make sure you buy the right seat as mentioned above.

I bought mine from HERE, and they're really good quality. They didn't come with bolts, but they do sell them. I could have got some cheaper as a package on eBay, but I wanted them that day.

Yeah, you have to be careful as not all 10mm spacers fit either.

Your best bet is buying from somewhere like DPM Performance as Damian will be able to tell you what will fit. If you buy a set without bolts they are readily available on eBay, just make sure you buy the right seat as mentioned above.

I bought mine from HERE, and they're really good quality. They didn't come with bolts, but they do sell them. I could have got some cheaper as a package on eBay, but I wanted them that day.

I'll probably stick with DPM then. Fancy just getting spacers that come with the right bolts rather than trying to work out which ones to get as I'll probably get it wrong haha!

I recently bought some 10mm Bimecc hubcentric spacers on eBay. They come with the correct length bolts for the spacer size you buy and you get a choice of either cone or radius bolts too depending on your wheels (aftermarket or standard) they were £59 per pair but are fantastic!

I recently bought some 10mm Bimecc hubcentric spacers on eBay. They come with the correct length bolts for the spacer size you buy and you get a choice of either cone or radius bolts too depending on your wheels (aftermarket or standard) they were £59 per pair but are fantastic!

For that price I think I'd probably get 10mm FK ones from DPM. They are £62 inc VAT.

I had my front wheels off to work on the car yesterday so I took some pics of my 10mm spacers to help explain my earlier post.

If you look at this picture you can see the recess inside the spacer that has to fit over the lip on the hub.

After the thickness of the spacer itself there is a step down in size/diameter.

These were £50 from the shop in Stockport I linked to above, but do you understand what I was saying now?

On a 8mm spacer it's physically impossible to have a 10mm recess to go over the lip on the rear hub, as the spacer is only 8mm thick. You can fit 8mm on the front fine though as the hub lip is shorter.