S4 owners, do you think the noise is bang on or just a bit too muted?

I had a r32 before and maybe you can redline it a bit more with less power, but that seemed to sing more on the distinct v6 growl from the exhuast

Or maybe the cabin is just too sound proof, but I had a friend drive it and I followed him and thought the note was a bit tame on tap

I don't have one but from what I have heard they do sound quite muted from standard. Most people seem to fit a Miltek to solve that problem ;)

I have driven many R32s and they probably have one of the most tuneful exhaust notes for a standard car IMO - absolutely hairaising :D

Your looking at the wrong end
If you want it to growl , get rid of the pre cats and restriction
Even with the rest of the exhaust standard , the car sounds a humdred times better

Your looking at the wrong end
If you want it to growl , get rid of the pre cats and restriction
Even with the rest of the exhaust standard , the car sounds a humdred times better

Any examples on youtube?
How much does it cost?

Side affects and drone issues?

I don't have one but from what I have heard they do sound quite muted from standard. Most people seem to fit a Miltek to solve that problem ;)

I have driven many R32s and they probably have one of the most tuneful exhaust notes for a standard car IMO - absolutely hairaising :D

Yeah maybe cos can redline and the singing v6 exhaust note on r32 was a hoot

no downsides at all
will still pass mot
louder to the outside of the car , but not intrusive into the cabin

engine revs a lot quicker , you can hear the intake noise through the exhaust if you blip throttle on start up
less restriction = more power

What's the likely cost and can it be reversed back to standard if parts were kept?

Any pictures, diagrams to what's what and likely cost?

cost is it can be done by yourself if your handy with the tools
a garage would charge a few hours labour to remove the pre cats from the manifolds
to remove the pre cats all you need is a drill and a nice long extension bar
the only thing which will require doing is the lines of code on the ecu need altering or the engine check light will come on

once done it cannot be put back to standard unless you bought new pre cats , but honestly once its done you never ever would want to go back to standard

cost is it can be done by yourself if your handy with the tools
a garage would charge a few hours labour to remove the pre cats from the manifolds
to remove the pre cats all you need is a drill and a nice long extension bar
the only thing which will require doing is the lines of code on the ecu need altering or the engine check light will come on

once done it cannot be put back to standard unless you bought new pre cats , but honestly once its done you never ever would want to go back to standard

Thanks is this what you have done?
Is it a mapping requirement or vagcom to alter changes

If you have it done, have you done anything else to noise would be good to get a YouTube clip ;)

my car has a standard air filter and air box a few pieces of jhm trickery
the pre cats were removed from the downpipes and cleaned out completely and new flexi pipes welded in
this is mated to a milltek resonated x pipe exhaust with slash tips

the car is running a custom map which also removes the warm up cycle for the pre cats so no codes are generated

Have a listen to this, standard pipes with only Miltek tips to finish if off, silencers removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Seen that
Sounds nice

But the cost of removal of silencers, mapping out what needs doing and if above different pipes I imagine that's close to a milltek exhaust in cost

if simply removing the rear silencers you do not need to have the map changed as it is unaffected

there are a couple of owners on the forum who have done this and the car is loud
however it is loud ALL of the time because of removing the rear silencers
there is also no benefit power wise to removing the rear silencer

doing the front cats however increases power and gives a much quicker throttle response
as well as when you put your foot down the car roars or when driving normally the car is quiet
when i get chance i will upload a video of my car so as you can hear the difference

yes

that is the modification i have done to the front pipes on my car , but when i did mine i also re-welded new flexi,s
as one had cracked and was blowing

I've sent an online form to ask about exhaust options and the front pre cat / silencers removals to Infinity Exhaust near bristol so see what they say