Volks AutosSky Insurance
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By s3tby

Thread: Alternator belt noise? Squeak/Squeal

  1. #1
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208

    Alternator belt noise? Squeak/Squeal

    I have a squeal when the car is running, I've read this to be either the alternator pulley or tensioner. Anyone have any ideas which by listening to this video? I've seen its very common for the alternator pulley so was going to try this first with a new belt.

    Last edited by Chrismawa; 24th April 2014 at 10:42.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    AlexGSi2000's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,159
    Hard to tell from the video, but could be the alternator pulley / bearing.
    Probably best starting with the belt though - it looks a little old.

    2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

  4. #3
    TheDriver's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire/Cheshire
    Posts
    230
    As above, try with a new belt first but suspect it would be the tensioner. Just had mine changed and it has cured the squeaking noise.

    The bushings on the damper section had begun to wear causing a slight rattle and squeak of the belt due to the excess play in the damper/tensioner assembly. The damper will continue to elongate as the bushes wear out further and gradually it will get closer and closer to the pulley causing damage/breakage to belt and tensioner.
    Last edited by TheDriver; 24th April 2014 at 11:30.

  5. #4
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Yeah the belt is slightly old haha. Well I've ordered a new belt so will give that a try. If the squeal is still there I'll then go with alternator pulley.

    The alternator pulley does look quite new but it could be a cheap part i suppose...

  6. #5
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Oh anyone got a guide for changing the alternator belt?

  7. #6
    No Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
    As above, try with a new belt first but suspect it would be the tensioner. Just had mine changed and it has cured the squeaking noise.

    The bushings on the damper section had begun to wear causing a slight rattle and squeak of the belt due to the excess play in the damper/tensioner assembly. The damper will continue to elongate as the bushes wear out further and gradually it will get closer and closer to the pulley causing damage/breakage to belt and tensioner.
    The aux belt tensioner was in a right state on mine, the end of the damper had worn through the ribs on the pulley. Very lucky!!

  8. #7
    TheDriver's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire/Cheshire
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by BakPak View Post
    The aux belt tensioner was in a right state on mine, the end of the damper had worn through the ribs on the pulley. Very lucky!!
    Wow! Very lucky escape mate Can get quite messy when they fail...

  9. #8
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Anyone got a guide for changing the belt? Is it easy to put the front end into "service position"?

  10. #9
    No Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    335
    Seen a few clips on YouTube, looked a bit daunting to me! While the car is in that position I'd consider doing the cambelt at the same time. I got all my bits from ecp.

  11. #10
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    I've seen some places say its easy to do the drive belt though, even not putting it into service position??

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    I went through all of this the other day having experienced a intermittent red battery light and squeal. First up (good news) you absolutely don't need to assume the service position to change the belt, tensioner or test your alternator's clutch pulley! -Which make each of those jobs very quick and easy.

    Tensioner is easy to do too (£50 eBay. Febi is Audio OEM):
    DIY 1.8T B6 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement/Diagnosis
    You will need a 13mm ratchet spanner though. Not enough room for sockets unless you put it in the service position.

    Using an adjustable wrench, relieve the belt tension by pulling the tensioner to your right where the blue arrow highlights in the link above. That will let you do two things:

    1.) Slide off your existing belt and put your new one on (£25 TPS) -5 minute job. No tools required apart from the wrench to pull back the tensioner.

    2.) Test your alternator's clutch pulley -stick a small screwdriver inside the alternator where you see the internal fins rotating as you spin the pulley using your hand (no you won't get an electric shock). The screwdriver of course will stop the fins rotating. You should only be able to spin the pulley in one direction (it's a clutch pulley...). If it doesn't move at all or spins freely in both directions there's your problem.


    Hope this helps!
    Chrismawa likes this.

  13. #12
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Legend! Thats mint cheers mate I will give this a go!

  14. #13
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Just noticed the link in your post is for the 1.8t - will it still be as easy for the 1.9tdi (AWX)? There is another belt in the way - air con?

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    217
    Chrismawa how did your fix go?

    Sorry to hi jack here, didn't think much point starting another thread though....

    My '03 PD130 6 speed squeals and chugs fairly loudly when steering is on full lock.

    I haven't got any record of the AUX belt being changed in the history of the car (160k) I was thinking of changing the tensioner at the same time for the sake of it while I'm working in that area.

    Whats the thought? Will that solve my noise?

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_TDi View Post
    Chrismawa how did your fix go?

    Sorry to hi jack here, didn't think much point starting another thread though....

    My '03 PD130 6 speed squeals and chugs fairly loudly when steering is on full lock.

    I haven't got any record of the AUX belt being changed in the history of the car (160k) I was thinking of changing the tensioner at the same time for the sake of it while I'm working in that area.

    Whats the thought? Will that solve my noise?
    Have you checked the level of the steering fluid?
    My mate have a chirping noise when turning his steering wheel when his alternator pulley went.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

  17. #16
    S3 GAZ's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Ayrshire Scotland
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackQuat View Post
    Have you checked the level of the steering fluid?
    My mate have a chirping noise when turning his steering wheel when his alternator pulley went.
    Had very same on my pd130. Squeal on full lock and belt jumping all over place. Replaced the alternator clutch pulley and put a new tensioner and belt and its working perfectly.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    217
    To be honest I haven't checked the fluid yet.

    I was assuming AUX belt straight away as when the car was serviced by my regular garage they flagged up on notes that the aux belt was noisy.

    Sounding more expensive having to do all 3 bits now :-( I suppose I'll have piece of mind knowing all 3 bits are done though.

  19. #18
    S3 GAZ's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Ayrshire Scotland
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_TDi View Post
    To be honest I haven't checked the fluid yet.

    I was assuming AUX belt straight away as when the car was serviced by my regular garage they flagged up on notes that the aux belt was noisy.

    Sounding more expensive having to do all 3 bits now :-( I suppose I'll have piece of mind knowing all 3 bits are done though.
    Cost me £76 for tensioner, clutch pulley and belt. If you can't do it yourself unbolt your alternator and take it to a garage and ask them to swap the clutch pulley for you. Will keep costs down as much as possible.

    The tensioner is only 1 bolt and the alternator is 2 bolts

  20. #19
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Got the belt changed, tested alternator pulley and thats fine. Still have the squeal. Will try tensioner next!

  21. #20
    S3 GAZ's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Ayrshire Scotland
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismawa View Post
    Got the belt changed, tested alternator pulley and thats fine. Still have the squeal. Will try tensioner next!
    Does the belt jump around or its it running true

  22. #21
    Chrismawa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 GAZ View Post
    Does the belt jump around or its it running true
    Belt runs fine mate. Just got a squeak from somewhere. If I release the tension on the belt then start it the squeal will be gone for about a minute then start again. So its something connected to the belt!

  23. #22
    Mike.M's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,578
    could be a worn roller in terms of being highly polished with wear and this is slightly slipping on the belt if that has also been changed and also the tensioner.
    Mike

    B6 A4 1.9 TDI Sport 130 - GMBH/S-Line kit - Akoya Silver
    - BUILD THREAD >>

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    217
    First time I actually looked at mine yesterday and after reading above the thing centre of the vid and pic seems very shiny? I'm hoping it's just a belt I need as cost starts to get a bit much after that.



    The centre thing (tensioner?) also seems to move about alot?


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. S4 alternator belt
    By TURBOTRONICS in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th July 2010, 22:06
  2. a few issues with my 2.0 tdi (poor mpg and suspected alternator belt tensioner seizin
    By andy16vturbo in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th March 2010, 02:18
  3. Alternator Belt
    By tim-igoe in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th February 2010, 20:03
  4. Change alternator belt at same time as cam belt???
    By Ads in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th August 2009, 11:38
  5. Belt noise
    By darrenp in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th March 2006, 14:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO