Alternator belt noise? Squeak/Squeal

Chrismawa

Reaction score
I have a squeal when the car is running, I've read this to be either the alternator pulley or tensioner. Anyone have any ideas which by listening to this video? I've seen its very common for the alternator pulley so was going to try this first with a new belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the video, but could be the alternator pulley / bearing.
Probably best starting with the belt though - it looks a little old.

As above, try with a new belt first but suspect it would be the tensioner. Just had mine changed and it has cured the squeaking noise.

The bushings on the damper section had begun to wear causing a slight rattle and squeak of the belt due to the excess play in the damper/tensioner assembly. The damper will continue to elongate as the bushes wear out further and gradually it will get closer and closer to the pulley causing damage/breakage to belt and tensioner.

Last edited:
Yeah the belt is slightly old haha. Well I've ordered a new belt so will give that a try. If the squeal is still there I'll then go with alternator pulley.

The alternator pulley does look quite new but it could be a cheap part i suppose...

As above, try with a new belt first but suspect it would be the tensioner. Just had mine changed and it has cured the squeaking noise.

The bushings on the damper section had begun to wear causing a slight rattle and squeak of the belt due to the excess play in the damper/tensioner assembly. The damper will continue to elongate as the bushes wear out further and gradually it will get closer and closer to the pulley causing damage/breakage to belt and tensioner.

The aux belt tensioner was in a right state on mine, the end of the damper had worn through the ribs on the pulley. Very lucky!!

Anyone got a guide for changing the belt? Is it easy to put the front end into "service position"?

Seen a few clips on YouTube, looked a bit daunting to me! While the car is in that position I'd consider doing the cambelt at the same time. I got all my bits from ecp.

I've seen some places say its easy to do the drive belt though, even not putting it into service position??

I went through all of this the other day having experienced a intermittent red battery light and squeal. First up (good news) you absolutely don't need to assume the service position to change the belt, tensioner or test your alternator's clutch pulley! -Which make each of those jobs very quick and easy.

Tensioner is easy to do too (£50 eBay. Febi is Audio OEM):
DIY 1.8T B6 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement/Diagnosis
You will need a 13mm ratchet spanner though. Not enough room for sockets unless you put it in the service position.

Using an adjustable wrench, relieve the belt tension by pulling the tensioner to your right where the blue arrow highlights in the link above. That will let you do two things:

1.) Slide off your existing belt and put your new one on (£25 TPS) -5 minute job. No tools required apart from the wrench to pull back the tensioner.

2.) Test your alternator's clutch pulley -stick a small screwdriver inside the alternator where you see the internal fins rotating as you spin the pulley using your hand (no you won't get an electric shock). The screwdriver of course will stop the fins rotating. You should only be able to spin the pulley in one direction (it's a clutch pulley...). If it doesn't move at all or spins freely in both directions there's your problem.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Chrismawa
Just noticed the link in your post is for the 1.8t - will it still be as easy for the 1.9tdi (AWX)? There is another belt in the way - air con?

Chrismawa how did your fix go?

Sorry to hi jack here, didn't think much point starting another thread though....

My '03 PD130 6 speed squeals and chugs fairly loudly when steering is on full lock.

I haven't got any record of the AUX belt being changed in the history of the car (160k) I was thinking of changing the tensioner at the same time for the sake of it while I'm working in that area.

Whats the thought? Will that solve my noise?

Chrismawa how did your fix go?

Sorry to hi jack here, didn't think much point starting another thread though....

My '03 PD130 6 speed squeals and chugs fairly loudly when steering is on full lock.

I haven't got any record of the AUX belt being changed in the history of the car (160k) I was thinking of changing the tensioner at the same time for the sake of it while I'm working in that area.

Whats the thought? Will that solve my noise?
Have you checked the level of the steering fluid?
My mate have a chirping noise when turning his steering wheel when his alternator pulley went.

Have you checked the level of the steering fluid?
My mate have a chirping noise when turning his steering wheel when his alternator pulley went.

Had very same on my pd130. Squeal on full lock and belt jumping all over place. Replaced the alternator clutch pulley and put a new tensioner and belt and its working perfectly.

To be honest I haven't checked the fluid yet.

I was assuming AUX belt straight away as when the car was serviced by my regular garage they flagged up on notes that the aux belt was noisy.

Sounding more expensive having to do all 3 bits now :-( I suppose I'll have piece of mind knowing all 3 bits are done though.

To be honest I haven't checked the fluid yet.

I was assuming AUX belt straight away as when the car was serviced by my regular garage they flagged up on notes that the aux belt was noisy.

Sounding more expensive having to do all 3 bits now :-( I suppose I'll have piece of mind knowing all 3 bits are done though.

Cost me £76 for tensioner, clutch pulley and belt. If you can't do it yourself unbolt your alternator and take it to a garage and ask them to swap the clutch pulley for you. Will keep costs down as much as possible.

The tensioner is only 1 bolt and the alternator is 2 bolts

Got the belt changed, tested alternator pulley and thats fine. Still have the squeal. Will try tensioner next!

Does the belt jump around or its it running true

Belt runs fine mate. Just got a squeak from somewhere. If I release the tension on the belt then start it the squeal will be gone for about a minute then start again. So its something connected to the belt!

could be a worn roller in terms of being highly polished with wear and this is slightly slipping on the belt if that has also been changed and also the tensioner.

First time I actually looked at mine yesterday and after reading above the thing centre of the vid and pic seems very shiny? I'm hoping it's just a belt I need as cost starts to get a bit much after that.

The centre thing (tensioner?) also seems to move about alot?