Double din cage fitting problems

dale86

Reaction score
Hi I'm on fitting a double Din cage to my car so I can fit RNSd but I'm struggling getting my centre console back in. Shud it slide straight back in or are the centre consoles different for a double Din set up ? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

The centre console is different for double din but shouldn't stop it going back in it only requires a bit of trimming to house the climate unit.
Have a look here.

55920809-22E9-4422-A2E3-B461FA9E216E_zps213isasm.png

Last edited:
Will have to have a better look at this when mine comes, HU (B7 concert) unit arrived yesterday, leads and cage should be here today hopefully.

As above........you have to trim the inside edges of the single din console to get it to fit the new double din

Ahh I think I know how to finish this now is their any measurements or is it a educated guess situation lol.

Is this part visible what I'll be cutting just I don't want to make a hash of it is says it's not in one of the posts above but I'd like a definate answer chaps so I know whether I can just close my eyes and cut or have to take measure ments and make it look good.

Not sure if you have seen these two threads about doing exactly what your trying to do:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...rns-d-rare-satnav-installed-2002-audi-s3.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/174680-rns-d-install-not-rns-e.html

There is another better option the trimming the climate control unit down and or the cage itself, which is just look on ebay for the unit that fits down the bottom (where the cubby hole would go on the concert II system) and this way its the unit designed to go there, so no dodgy trimming needed which is so hard to get right (in my eyes anyway).

AUDI A3 HEATER CLIMATE CONTROL SWITCH UNIT 1997 - 2003 HAS WEAR ON BUTTONS | eBay

I think that should be the one that goes right at the bottom of the stack (but dont quote me 100%)

but i would definitely stay away from trimming unless you absolutely refuse to buy the new unit....I personally couldnt have handled seeing those cut edges everyday..

Let me know how you get on

Anton

If you are going to refit your original stuff back in the car for re-sale you will need a new console as there will be two visible gaps when the single din stuff is put back in.

Sorry to have a brain laps here, so you only trim the console if you have a single din console but want to fit a double din, with a double din cage??

Its not hard to do but i am confussed!!:scared2:

I had single din and now have just fitted double Din cage and can't get centre console back in so yeah it sounds like I need to cut awway I'll.prob just sell car with it all in.

Yeah I seen that Vid cuts a lot out it's fairly useless I thought all I had to do was change it to double Din or I probably wouldn't have done it lol

The cuts you make to the single DIN console to get it to fit the double DIN cage aren't visible once everything is installed into it.

It never seems to be documented but the single din and double din ashtrays are also different.

Where single din has the cubby hole below the climate unit (the rubberised area behind the ashtray), OEM double din setup doesn't have this, and the console doesn't have the slots to accept this part. Instead the double din ashtray has a extra plastic section that covers the 8-10mm gap between the ashtray lid and the base of the climate control unit.

When cutting down a single din console you could also cut down the cubby hole 'floor'? 'base'? (I don't know what you'd want to call it), so that it meets the back of the single din ash tray and doesn't leave you with a hole that you're bound to lose your house keys in, or these days, even your whole phone could probably disappear down the gap. Or you could try and source a double din ashtray.

You also have to get hold off a double din climate unit, the single din ones don't fit unless you trim down the edges (scary job).

I have seen a few double din conversions with the single din climate fitted. Who ever does this next needs take detailed pics and notes to get all this out the way!

Yea, mine is a single DIN unit fitted in the double din cage. I had to take maybe 6-8mm off each side to get it to fit though.

I've got loads of photos, just not had any time to document the whole process yet.

Thanks for clearing that up smoothasault but now you open up a whole other can of worms about a gap I'll be left with and the ash tray not fitting properly my cars in bits and I need it back together people will think I'm going for the stripped out look lol.

Thanks for clearing that up smoothasault but now you open up a whole other can of worms about a gap I'll be left with and the ash tray not fitting properly my cars in bits and I need it back together people will think I'm going for the stripped out look lol.

A whole new look and meaning to ratrod lol.

In the thread link i put on it shows that you have to trim something near the ashtray to get rid of that gap!!

Final image from this blog post about my Alcantara dash install shows the extent of the gap you'll be left with. Like I said, it's only around 8-10mm without the double din ashtray that has the extra little flap to cover it.

Audi A4 Alcantara Dash (part 2) | Matt Easom

I did my conversion at the end of last year and I've archived all my photos from 2013 onto my PC at home. So I have them, but they're not accessible while I'm at work. If I have time this evening I'll post up any other images that you guys might find useful.

Well I made the cuts and it's in havn t fit the climate unit yet or fitted stereo to see if my cuts will be hidden I'm crossing my fingers. The gap that's mentioned doesn't bother me as I never place anything on their anyway.

Done mine tonight,nearly let out a little wee as I was trimming the centre console and climate control. Gone back in sweet. Shame me leads ain't come yet,gutted. Knew I should of checked ne parcel before cracking on. Oh well done now. Will post some pics on me thread once the hu is in

Can anyone help me with where I can take a permanent 12v supply from as I need one to get my RNSd out of safe mode so it holds the code any help would be appreciated .

Can anyone help me with where I can take a permanent 12v supply from as I need one to get my RNSd out of safe mode so it holds the code any help would be appreciated .

Is the cig lighter not 12v???

If not you should have a permanent live in your stereo wires, usualy a thick-ish red wire

I thought about the cigarette lighter as it works when the ignition is off so must have a permanent live . Does the stereo have a permanent live it must do as my after market head unit would not turn off unless I did it after the ignition was off.

Either will work,if ya stereo does not have the wire diagram on it. Then ya need a test meter to find out which it is,like I said though I'm pretty much certain it's the red 1

Forgot I had taken this,this is the bit you need to cut out to make it fit the double din cage

This is the rough job before I filed it all straight and square,you can't see a thing once fitted.
The trimming of the climate is a lot easy than people think,when you turn it over there are2 lines/grooves,if you trim it of just behind them,the climate slids straight back in,no problem.

Last edited:
I've cut my climate today and for some reason it won clip in its just sits in sloppys mad slides forward as quick as I put it in it slides back out. Does anyone know if the b7 double Din climate is the same as I may just buy a proper one as I'm not to pleased with how mine turned out. My rnsd is been tempremental also as it says no CD changer connected when it is and has power as it's light up hmmmmm .

The double din unit has some location tabs on the top that the single din doesn't so i guess that is why it won't fit properly, ( i went aftermarket so didn't have this problem ) the B7 unit is different in so i believe you need to do the heated rear screen mod as i believe the wiring is different, so i would look for a double din unit from a B6, as for the cd changer you may have to tell the ecu via vag com that you have a cd changer connected to the Rnsd as i suspect if you did a scan it would bring up a fault saying something along the lines of stereo not found, this was the case when someone i know fitted a RNSE from a different car and his changer would not work but once coded all was good.

hi everyone

have you looked at another option making your single din cage into a double din cage you lose the cup holders and have to move the
hazard switch but I working on mine at the moment was a double din and hated the hazard switch where it was, so made the double din a single din then out came the cup holders cut up and removed the aluminium bracket that holds the switches in place and then removed the sunglass's holder

At the moment I'am cutting a Perspex stencil to go around a double din kenwood navigation and you can get the cup holder for the arm rest (about £36 from audi) so the hardest job is the rewiring of the switches I've put these next to the roof switch and ciggy lighter on my 05 cab

Will a climate control unit wit heated seat switches work on a car that doesn't have heated seats ??????

My rnsd is been tempremental also as it says no CD changer connected when it is and has power as it's light up hmmmmm .

When I tested it, I made sure it lit the CD changer up, but I can't remember if I actually tested to see if it played CD's, it was such a faff trying to change the language I can't remember. Have you coded the RNSd in with VCDS? I would hope that's all it is.

Could it be a coding issue as to why I only have rear speakers working too ???