Avant - Chrome Strip on Rear Bumpber

Andy101

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with the chrome strip on the rear bumber of the Avant. Second one on the car now has also started bubbling - better get it booked in.
OB

You're unlucky!

Mine still looks like new - 17 months old now.

But I always jet wash the car at least once a week when there's salt on the roads.......

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

02, 80k, few scratches but all owner induced. Sorry
looks like its just you.
chas

Surprising. IMines 15 months old, 52K, hand washed weekly and I'm on my second (should still be warranted from last replacement). Only niggle I've had appart from the old Air Mass Meter gem.
OB

Very surprised it's bubbling as that suggests corrosion and isn't made of aluminium alloy? Oxidisation maybe if the lacquer is damaged – very strange. Mine was fine on my original bumper (2002 car) before I swapped for the S4 one. I fitted the S4 trim strip (new) and from what I can remember the underside of the trim is not shiny – i.e. not lacquered, so I’m surprised it’s corroding?

Finally got around to getting it into the stealer. Replaced the trim under warranty without question. It appeared to be surface bubbling, looking OK from the underside which had me puzzled. Back at its best now anyway.

Snap, noticed the same problem on mine a few weeks ago when hand washing so I rang the dealer and it is been replaced under warranty on June the 6th. It looks as if the exterior finished is laminated/bonded onto another alloy material underneath and the bond has failed in this particular area and allowed it to lift and bubble, the outer material is so thin its like the aluminium foil you use to cook things in!!! Never had this problem on my 2 B6 saloons.

my avant had the trim changed for the second time in january at 18 months old, same problem; appears to occure during the winter months so expect it will need another one in january

I notice on the new B7 Avants they have dropped this piece of trim from the rear so it looks as if it was a design fault in the B6 range.

Hard to belive, almost a year to the day spotted the trim is bubbling from within again. This HAS to be a manufacturing fault to happen again. Back to the stealer we go....

6yrs on and still going strong, if anything then its a little faded!!

I took mine of and peeled the chrome and then sprayed it matt black.

The chrome is just a foil layer stuck over a plastic part. I unclipped my trim and pealed all the chrome off and sprayed the trim satin black.