Aircon questions.

Reaction score
Happy Easter everyone.

I've got next week off so no excuse for not fixing a few things. The suspension kit is ordered, just waiting for some components which are in manufacturing at the AP factory in Germany. Hopefully have them by Thursday, my car's booked in for Friday at my local garage.

Anyway I thought about turning my attention to the aircon which has never worked since I bought the car nearly a year ago. If I run through what happens hopefully someone can suggest first step. On start up no econ light but after say 5 seconds the econ light comes on and this seems to coincide with a pump or something spooling up in the engine bay. The econ light stays lit no matter what buttons are pressed. I was thinking of changing the pressure sensor before I take it somewhere for re-gassing.

What do you guys think please and where is the pressure sensor on my 1.9tdi.

Thanks, Mark.

The Econ light is on because the compressor is off, either it isn't working, or it's been disabled because there's a fault in the system. The car does this to protect the compressor from damage, maybe there is insufficient gas in the system. The fact it takes 5 secs for the compressor to isolate itself would imply to me there's a fault in the system. Have you had it scanned to make you think it's the pressure sensor?

Sensor is the G65 and is on the nearside of the condensor radiator.

Thanks James, I'll get it scanned next week. I noticed on a previous thread changing the sensor cured that particular aircon issue. Am I right in thinking that to check what's wrong the system needs re-gassing first?

I hope so,as it was a mission finding my correct part (sensor)
When i did source n fit summer was nearly over,but econ still on with new sensor,so im hoping new charge will bring back cool air

If the sensor is removed does all the gas escape. The sensor on mine is yellow, ecp show yellow or orange as options.

Thanks James, I'll get it scanned next week. I noticed on a previous thread changing the sensor cured that particular aircon issue. Am I right in thinking that to check what's wrong the system needs re-gassing first?

Definitely the first thing would be a vcds scan and then regas/check refrigerant level. I had similar symptoms last summer, mobile a/c guy came and re-gassed, system functioned fine long enough for him to take his money and disappear then same thing happened. Took it to a local garage and after carrying out pressure test said there's hardly any refrigerant in the system(?), and traced fault to G65 pressure sensor. Got part from TPS, approx £55, re-gassed and been fine ever since. ECON light stays off unless pressed but tbh it's better for the system to always leave the a/c on. Helps keep things lubrcated and decrease the amount of fungal buildup inside the a/c system.

I'd say scan for codes first, then have it pressure tested/re-gassed and go from there. Like QuattroJames said, it could well be that there is no refrigerant.

Haven't had it checked for fault codes yet but I got the diy kit from halfords and charged the system up. The econ light is now off but no cold air. Gutted!!

I had this with mine, high pressure switch had to be replaced and the problem was solved. £50 new (Y)

Then again, it can flag up this fault if there is no gas in the system, or its low, so you'd need to get it re-gassed to find out either way lol

I had this with mine, high pressure switch had to be replaced and the problem was solved. £50 new (Y)

Then again, it can flag up this fault if there is no gas in the system, but or its low, so you'd need to get it re-gassed to find out either way lol

Done the re - gas and it's holding pressure so change the G65 sensor next.