Oil leak advice

Tony5496

Reaction score
Hi Can someone point me in the right direction I have a oil leak it's about 3 inches wide it's just behind the passenger wheel I clean it up and over night it's appeared again on the garage painted floor any help where to look would be great

Under the bonnet! Sorry couldn't resist. Check the oil filter is tight as it's on that side of the engine.

Reactions: Tony5496
Yes it seems to be gathering on the plastic tray underneath and dripping off that yes have check oil filter and is very tight and okay I do remember someone saying something about when the cambelt is changed make sure the rubber seal is changed but not sure where there is to be honest

Try the lower oil cooler seal. Mine is leaking. Directly under the oil cooler. Only really see it with the undertray off and looking up.

Yes thanks what does the oil cooler look like and when looking from underneath the car is it very visible is it to the side or to the back of the engine

Hi it's the 1.8T engine on a 53 reg. just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction as not really in the know just wondered it it was a common problem many thanks

Could be oil cooler. They also leak from the rocker cover gasket, and at the back if the engine from the half moon VVT seal, dip sticks can also split. Hope you get it sorted.

You would need to stick a mirror down the back of the top of the engine. Mine was shot and it was leaking about a litre per 1000 miles through it.

Wouldn't have thought it would be the VVT seal then as I'd have thought that would only leak when the engine is running. Oil cooler would be my thought.

Mine (1.9tdi) looks like this. Its directly under the oil filter housing. Theres a seal on the top and another right underneath.