Advice on exhaust setup

A4sportMrT

Reaction score
I have the 1.8t and looking at getting a custom exhaust made up, I have a decat fitted already and just wondered what the best setup would be, and if anyone has advice on what would be best?
Complete straight through 2.5" system
or add a mid silencer?
I don't want a drone like I did on my old car which had a milltek exhaust system.

If you dont want drone definitely fit a mid silencer.

I have a milltek fitted to mine and I had to fit electronic exhaust valves so that I could quieten it some when the family is in the car or starting up early in the morning.

Without mid boxes it would be very loud.

I have a milltek fitted to mine and it's a piece of c##p,not worth the money. It's cheaply made in China so don't fit properly and wouldn't buy one again. Had to have a exhaust place remake part of it to get it to fit as milltek where useless and kept saying nothing they could do,so much for the warranty.Get one made up for ur car and you can pick what you want,like silencers and tailpipes and probable cost less.

I have a milltek fitted to mine and it's a piece of c##p,not worth the money. It's cheaply made in China so don't fit properly and wouldn't buy one again. Had to have a exhaust place remake part of it to get it to fit as milltek where useless and kept saying nothing they could do,so much for the warranty.Get one made up for ur car and you can pick what you want,like silencers and tailpipes and probable cost less.

Which part would not fit correctly? I had no issues with mine.

Looking back now though I would have had a custom one made up instead. As Welsh said with a custom one you could add in silencers as you need them or remove them if you think it is too quiet....

What about getting a hold of an S4/RS4 exhaust? You could pipe the exhaust flap actuators up to the vacuum feed at the airbox. That way when you go into boost the exhaust opens up and growls! When driving out of boost it would be nice and quiet.

The bit where the exhaust splits in two,made the whole exhaust sit wrong. Also was told by the exhaust place the welding wasn't up to much,which isn't covered by the warranty.

I am thinking of going custom because it's half the price. I didn't think an S4/Rs4 exhaust would fit as mines fwd but does sound interesting.
Thanks for the help, I'll opt to add a mid box

I am thinking of going custom because it's half the price. I didn't think an S4/Rs4 exhaust would fit as mines fwd but does sound interesting.
Thanks for the help, I'll opt to add a mid box

I was thinking about this over lunch.

Why do you want a custom exhaust?

I have ran my GT2871 with standard manifold, standard exhaust and a THS decat and it flowed fine.

I am running my Miltek now as I have upped the boost from 15psi to 25 so I need the extra flow but if you are using a K03 or hyrid K04 I would say the standard exhaust will flow fine.

Yeah the flow doesn't really concern me at this point as I've not got money to go big power to appreciate it. Just want more grunt from the exhaust. Perhaps it's my age haha
Also, custom exhaust from longlife and remap for less than the cost of a market branded exhaust is a no brainer for me.