1.9 tdi quattro sport tyres

MooLard

Reaction score
Good evening
I need a set of four tyres for my car as the shop wouldn't perform the tracking until I get rid of my racing slicks!
If I hunt around there are a few to choose from, any recommendations?

Depends on your budget really mate. Personally I swear by Michelins, I'm sure other people will have different opinions on what works for them. Pilot sport 3's are a nice tyre. Great handling in the dry, decent-ish in the wet, last a good 20k+ depending on how you drive and offer rim protection too I believe. Road noise becomes a little more noticeable on the higher end of the 'worn' scale but I suppose that could be said for a most tyres.

Need to get a new set of 19" tyres for wifeys but I can't really afford premium tyres at that size, at least not at the moment anyway, however happened across the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's which were a palatable £105 per corner, obviously they're great in the wet (which is about 90% of the time in this blessed country!) and the reviews for them are generally quite favourable. Think I'll end up going for those when I put the wheels back on.

Like I said it depends on your budget really and truly.

I got some slightly stretched 225/40/18 Michelins pilot sport 3's on my A5 rims, very impressed so far. Rim protection is excellent both inside and outside rim edges.

Another fantastic tyre in my opinion is the Verdistein Sessantas Ultrac Sport, extremely good in the wet, they drive like its practically dry. Camskill do them at a good price too!

Reactions: TheDriver
Another one for Michelin's both my A4 & A6 have PS3 on them and handle very well.

Three tyres I can recommend.Uniroyal Rainsport 2, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Continental ContiSportContact5. The Conti's seem to wear fairly quick despite being on the rear but hold the road very well. Uniroyal up front are still going after about a year and a half of daily commuting although the nearside is a bit bald on the outside edge. Got the Ultracs on my MR2 but have no complaints about them. They grip well and still have plenty of tread after about the same term that the Uniroyals have been fitted to my A4.

Evening! Thanks for all of the replies, surprised to hear that about the Continental tyres, but being sports they might be a softer compound to enable better grip? I was considering Goodyear Eagle F1 something or goers for a while but seeing as Nexen N8000's were so good on my previous car I may go with them. Anyone had any experience with those ones?

Dunlop Fast Response tyres on my 2.5TDI quattro (B5), great low road noise, excellent grip, good for 20k and a life saver in the wet. Only down side is poor in the snow, but you can't have it all.

Finally decided the time is neigh to actually order tyres and my favourite fitter says Nexen N8000's are out of stock! So the next recommendation was Falken 453's, seeing as few have mentioned them here I'll give them a go.
I think I've spent a bit too long procrastinating on what to get, am getting the tracking done at the same time so as long as they are safe and last a while I am happy. They will almost definitely sound quieter as I'm riding on F1 style slicks at the moment.

Finally decided the time is neigh to actually order tyres and my favourite fitter says Nexen N8000's are out of stock! So the next recommendation was Falken 453's, seeing as few have mentioned them here I'll give them a go.
I think I've spent a bit too long procrastinating on what to get, am getting the tracking done at the same time so as long as they are safe and last a while I am happy. They will almost definitely sound quieter as I'm riding on F1 style slicks at the moment.

You won't go far wrong with the Falken's. They're a good tyre and anyone who has tried them generally rate them highly.

just to mess you up, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy2 are a pretty decent tyre aswell (good wet/dry weather performance) in the same price range as the Falken's :wacko:

Last tyres I bought were for my old car. I bought uniroyal rainsport 2's which I believe have been superceeded by the 3's and I couldn't fault them. Got them off of camskill.

Yeah, last time I checked a few weeks ago the Uniroyal RS3's were £105 per corner (235/35/19) but have since shot up in price everywhere. I was lining myself up for a set of them :(

#wounded

EDIT: Actually, I lie. They're back to £102.26 on camskill!

#needtopullmyfingerout

ive had pirelli pzero, yokohama advan sports and now im on avon zz5. pirelli where the best for grip closely followed by the yoko,s. As for the avons i cant fault them, listed as a summer tyre v low road noise with good grip wet or dry and where only £109 each delivered and thats 235 35 19. Good write ups on them everywhere i looked. The yokos lacked a rim protector which is a downer for the alloys