RS4 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar Fitted!!

• Thread starter imported_bubstar
  • Start date
I

imported_bubstar

As I mentioned before I fitted a RS4 (B7) rear anti roll bar to my car a few weeks back. I thought I'd wait a bit untill I had the chance to put a few miles on the car before I reported back.........

The RS4 'bar has defiantly had a positive effect on the driving feel and most importantly handling of the car.

The first thing I noticed (as has been said before) is the way the steering feels more direct and precise. The front tracks better and when pushed, holds a tighter line (less understeer).There's certainly less body roll from the rear, making for a much more ‘planted’ feel overall.

But if you want to ,the back end is now easier to slide about on exit of tight turns and roundabouts BUT it’s not in any way dangerous or tricky, there’s still a lot of safety built into the A4’s handling - it still took me a lot of effort to get the back to break away. But it was fun drifting about on roundabouts, something I've done before but not with the same feel .

Quattro /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

Overall it's made the drive and handling noticeably more planted and enjoyable, it's a very worthwhile mod’ and probably the best one you can do for around £110.

The 'bar is very easy to fit and will take less than 30 mins on a 4 post ramp or a pair of drive on ramps. AudiZine Fitting Guide .

Here are the part numbers.........

RS4 'DRC' 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar -- 8E0511409AM
Bushes -------------------------------------- 8E0511327B (X2)
Bolts for Brackets ------------------------- N10127706 (X4)
Bolts for ARB links ------------------------ N10528101 (X2)

Enjoy!

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nice one Bub, Just ordered mine from vagparts,

Told the missus it will reduce car sickness LOL!!

[ QUOTE ]
Told the missus it will reduce car sickness LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif I love it when you have to tell a little 'porkie' to justify a car related purchase!!

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Bub,

I've got an 2002 A4 Avant TDI on standard suspension, do you think it the RS4 rear arb would be any good for mine ? Perhaps may be your old one if its available?

Cheers

Just ordered them from my dealer. Took about a week to get them in.

BUB

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bub,

I've got an 2002 A4 Avant TDI on standard suspension, do you think it the RS4 rear arb would be any good for mine ? Perhaps may be your old one if its available?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi - The standard 'Se' bar is 16mm and the 'Sport & S-Line' is 18mm. So i'm sure the sport 'bar will have a positive effect on your car.

[ QUOTE ]
any of the newer a4s got a 20mm one? DTM?

[/ QUOTE ]

The S4 has a 20mm one (B6)

BUB

Bub

Just phoned Audi and the bar is on back order with no stock in the country. At least 3 to 4 weeks I am told. Did you have this trouble?

Yes it did go on back order for a couple of weeks.

Get it on order - It's well worth it!!

i think ill go half way and get the S4 one, ill try and find out prices if anyone else is interested

how do you go about finding part numbers?

i tried my dealer but still waiting on a call back for the S4 one

[ QUOTE ]
how do you go about finding part numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

You read the thread properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Anti-Roll bar is a normal German back order. It's 4-8 working days. 6 weeks is absolute nonsense!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

yeah those are for the RS4. im trying to get part numbers for the 20mm S4 bar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like just the thing I need. Good Man BUB

My local Audi Centre tried to stitch me up for the cost of new rear anti-roll bar after the car had covered only 67,000 miles and was just outside 3 years on the warranty. Needless to say, I instructed them to put the old one in the boot of my car. I then took it up with customer service (it also helps if your neighbour works in MK!) and got the money back. So, if you have your car serviced anywhere near The Cobblers, be warned!

So, I shall be contacting VAGParts very soon to get this sorted for mine.

Mine arrived from Vagparts this week, hopefully I will get it fitted one night next week, can't wait!

Make sure you post up a mini review too , Mike!

Fitted it this afternoon Bub, only I will need to finish later this week.....

Bub- did you change the rubber bushes too?, mine didn't come with the new anti-roll bar so I have had to fit the old bushes back on (and it was a bit of a squeeze), I have ordered some new 22mm bushes from Audi so as soon as they come I will pop em on.

The drive home was a stop and starter so I couldn't really tell, but it does feel a little better in the understeer dept.

Off to Poole on Wednesday so i'll write up after then.

Plus I fitted the S4 door flairs, looks the danglies! will post a pic soon!

Yes Mike you've got to fit the bigger bushes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Even with just lane changes the steering has a more positive feel......
3gears.gif

Did you paint the flairs or leave them grey?

BUB

Took it up the motorway tonight and cornering and lane swapping is awesome, takes a bit of getting used to going round sharp lefters!

As soon as the bushes arrive I will swap them over.

Left the flaires in grey to match the undersills.

ARB now fitted. Not fully tested yet but already I can feel the difference. Very worthwhile mod.

Guys.

If you have the chance do this mod. I have driven the car quite a bit since fitting this and what an improvement.

Steering response is improved as is the precision. The car generally feels sharper to drive and sits much better during cornering. Changes the behavour of the car for the better and would recommend to all.

Thanks for the recommendation Bub.

Nice one Platinum!

I gotta agree, its probably the best and cheapest mod you can have done and it's made a massive difference to my A4, well impressed!

Only problem is I can't help throwing my car round bends and roundabouts all the time, and as for power sliding in the rain......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Hi Bob,
I decided to go for the 20mm rarb. Fitted it this weekend. Was quite easy to change. Didn't have to drop the exhaust.

Definitely a worthwhile improvement. Seems to minimise the delay when going around chicanes ....

Found out that my ns rear damper was leaking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not impressed. Have to spend more money. I am debating whether to uprate them, but I don't want to rattle my teeth out. Koni FSD are on the cards.

thanks for informing us of the upgrade

Hey...

What about the front anti roll bar...

I have an SE so it'l be a weak one... any improvements there do you think?

I know Eibach do an Anti-Roll Bar Kit for the A4, what size are the S4/RS4's?

i found bilstein coilovers stop a lot body roll, its like an estate gocart now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dan
all audis since year dot understeer. increasing the front arb will only exacerbate this. increasing the ratio between front and rear arb will lessen this tendency.

of course this has to be done with some care as you can over do it and make the car very twitchy and if the rest of your suspension is not up to it, then it could snap into oversteer when you don't expect it. search the posts from ess_three and his integra type r for a graphic example. it is all about reaching a balance that you and the car is happy with.

SE - 16mm
Sport(line) 18mm
S4 20mm
RS4 22mm

The 20mm + new rubbers + bolts cost just under 66gbp from vagparts, count on that being nearly double from your local dealer.

i have an se too - I went from 16mm to 20mm. during the swap I noticed the rear nearside damper had been leaking, so I'm in the market of replacement dampers.

now I need to decide whether to go for lightly uprated b4 bilstein or the more focussed b8/sprintline dampers .....

Firestorm's got it spot on Dan.

Anyway the front ARB's are all the same size, so no point in changing it. You will however (as has been said in this thread) reduce understeer considerably by fitting a stiffer rear anti roll bar.

There really isn't anything to worry about on the a A4 safety wise. You're not going to turn the A4 into a 'ar** happy' nightmare on wheels by fitting a RS4 ARB!!!

[ QUOTE ]
i found bilstein coilovers stop a lot body roll, its like an estate gocart now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt Pete, but for £100 you won't do a better mod to an A4's suspension.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thanks, have lowered and uprated the suspension all round but find that the understeer is still very much there, with the 2.5 v6 tdi up front I suppose I will always find her trying to run straight when pushed.

Sounds like my next mod then, the back anti roll bar, leave the front as standard....

You say it should help out on the dreaded understeer?

My next plan is wider alloys at the front.

Seems the only other thing to do is lighten the front... wheres my angle grinder, surely the car can cope with just one one bank of the v6.......

dan, get the standard rs4 22mm rear arb and new bushes. less than 66gbp all in ...

it will definitely help with the understeer.

another thing that will make a big difference is the front camber. do you know what yours is ?

the a4 front suspension is not adjustable, you can use eccentric bolts to introduce a camber change.

search for kmac camber on google

-1.0 to -2.0 degrees is the range to aim for, standard it is 0. the more stay below the mid -1.5 if you do a lot of motorway miles, otherwise the inside edges will wear much too quickly.

lowering the suspension affects the camber anyway, so measure what you have now first.

Took mine on the snake pass yesterday and with the 22mm ARB fitted I had no problems keeping up with an R32 round the tight bends in the rain...............go for the 22mm!! no probs
9e823156.jpg
here

Wow, very interesting....

handles well enough till i push it, I feel the 22mm arb is the way to go, is it not too harsh on ride for comfort?

As for the Kmac, very interesting... have been waiting for my suspension to bed in, only recently did the drop... before i took it for checking... i think this weekend i shall have it checked, but very interesting....