A4 avant boot struts

norris_309

Reaction score
Looks like I might be needing some new boot lid struts.
Mine lift the boot lid but they seem to give up on the last little bit and the boot slams up/open. So a bit concerned it'll do some damage.
The struts were replaced last year by previous owner, but they are not OEM.

Anyone know any decernt OEM quality equivalent? Or is it best to go to audi... Anyone know what sort of price I'm looking at? Before I give them a call tomorrow.

TPS was trying to think of that one, never bought anything from there, but got one pretty local.
I take it they sell to public?
Are the struts easy enough to change? Never done it before

Not all TPS sell to the public as they are mainly Trade and supply Dealers and independents.

Can anyone with an a4 avant tell me....
If you open the boot lid and let go, does it open it slowly as its nearly fully up (hope that makes some sense???...)
As the ones on my car looked like they were leaking a bit and the boot slammed up/open so assumed they were shot, so (possibly stupidly) I ordered some from Gas Struts, Gas Springs, Tailgate Gas Struts, Boot Struts - Buy in UK
As I saw them mentioned a few places, but these do the same... A friends identical car opens the tailgate nice and controlled but they look like the original struts..
I couldn't bring myself to spend the money Audi wanted, something like £40 each ish!!

mine goes half way then i got to lift it the rest witch is annoying as hell so im hoping new struts will cure this

Yeah I'm sure new struts will cure that... Mines the opposite, I want them to open the boot in a more controlled fashion, not just fling it up and banging at the top.
Just thinking of contacting the company, but wanted to see what others are like.
I hate having a new (to me) car, finding out all the bits you didn't notice!! Lol

Can anyone with an a4 avant tell me....
If you open the boot lid and let go, does it open it slowly as its nearly fully up (hope that makes some sense???...)

I can't really understand that....

You're aware Avants have the two stage boot lift? It will lift to a set height fairly quickly, then you can push it up even higher to give you more head clearance if you need to - it's marked by the small logo stamped on the plastic hinge cover if I remember rightly.

I can't really understand that....

You're aware Avants have the two stage boot lift? It will lift to a set height fairly quickly, then you can push it up even higher to give you more head clearance if you need to - it's marked by the small logo stamped on the plastic hinge cover if I remember rightly.

Really, thats a new one on me then... But then only had the car a couple of weeks.
It just slowly(ish) opens the first bit, then flies up to being fully open with a not of a bang if I don't keep my hand on it, no stopping midway, my mates doesn't stop either?
I'll check out the hinge bit then.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like your struts are knackered.

It should rise up to probably 90-95% max height, and go the final amount when pushed.

thats what mine does just annoying as i always smash my for head off the boot as i always forget to lift it that little bit!! lol

Sounds like your struts are knackered.

It should rise up to probably 90-95% max height, and go the final amount when pushed.

Really... I guess mine opens fine for the 90-95% and the flies up to the limit.
They are brand new struts, not genuine Audi ones though.

Try www.autobock.de for the struts. Very cheap and oem quality, I had no hassle with them on my old B5 A4 avant.

I'm slightly concerned that it may be the hinge now though, would the strut provide the 2 stage opening??? Knowing my luck the hinges are faulty too!!!..
I made a point of testing the boot opened several times, first hot day we've had and my boot wouldn't open, so that's another thing I need to sort, common problem I believe & its very intermittent at the moment.

I've contacted the company who I bought the struts from and they said to return them for testing. Which is fine.
But does anyone know how this 2 stage boot opening works? I can't see how the struts will do that, or is it the hinge that adjusts when you push the boot lid the extra bit?
Mine just opens fully in one go, just want to be sure the struts are at fault before returning them.
Any ideas??
Cheers

It's just the struts, it's detailed in the handbook I think. They just extend a final small amount of their travel after they've initially stopped.

It's just the struts, it's detailed in the handbook I think. They just extend a final small amount of their travel after they've initially stopped.
Cheers
Thanks for that I'll go ahead and swap them back over and send them back.
It doesn't help that the car had eBay specials on there when I bought it, so don't know what they would be like. Although can't imagine they'd just let the boot lid slam up into the open position.