• 1 Post By a6-chris
  • 1 Post By DieselJake
  • 1 Post By BlackQuat
  • 1 Post By BlackQuat

Thread: A6 style exhausts

2nd Gear

Status

A6 style exhausts

Has anyone had/seen A6 style turned down exhausts fitted to a diesel A4 Avant?
    Akoya B6 A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130: 18" Audi Caressa Alloys with new centre caps, Debadged rear, Carbon vinyl front grills & gear surround, ice white sidelight/dipped beam & number plate bulbs, EGR clean & smaller gasket.
    To be fitted: B5 spring perches, Front 312mm upgrade, New CTS & Stat
    Wish List: BV43, FMIC, Organic clutch & remap!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure what you mean.... My Dads A4 Tdi Avant has visible turned down tail pipes but thats a B7
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2nd Gear

Status
    Well my cousins A6 2.7TDi Avant had visible turned down exhausts (one either side). I've just never seen this on a B6 A4.
    Akoya B6 A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130: 18" Audi Caressa Alloys with new centre caps, Debadged rear, Carbon vinyl front grills & gear surround, ice white sidelight/dipped beam & number plate bulbs, EGR clean & smaller gasket.

6th Gear

Status
    Exhaust Tips | Exhaust Trims | Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip

https://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=EXHTIPS&s=category

I have Etech on mine. Had them on since about 2010 and they're still in really good condition.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    B6 TDi's had hidden exhausts, on the B7's they also adopted the A6 style visible downswept pipes. If you wanted to do that, you'd need to fit a lower valance with the exhaust cut outs, and source some downswept tips.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

6th Gear

Status
    Like mine?

2nd Gear

Status

A6 style exhausts

Quote Originally Posted by a6-chris View Post
    Like mine?

Are they standard exhausts? They look quite prominent! Look good though.

I was thinking something like this:
    image.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    Standard as they come, they're just not sooty like the pic you've just posted.
    barkclark likes this.

Status

My Social Networking

Some of the B7's have dechromed exhaust tips I think!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Some of the B7's have dechromed exhaust tips I think!
    You learn something new everyday, they aren't actually chrome, they're stainless I think.

Status

My Social Networking

Yeh sorry, I meant dechromed as in dark rather than shiny

2nd Gear

Status
    Standard as they come, they're just not sooty like the pic you've just posted.
    They look like they stick out a bit more than the B7. Could just be the angle of the pictures though . I think something similar would look good on a B6 Avant!

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh sorry, I meant dechromed as in dark rather than shiny
    Ah yes, know what you mean now! They're rarely that clean though!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by barkclark View Post
    They look like they stick out a bit more than the B7. Could just be the angle of the pictures though . I think something similar would look good on a B6 Avant!
    I'll get some tomorrow

2nd Gear

Status
    I'll get some tomorrow
    awesome!

2nd Gear

Status
    All I can find is this picture. But I think they stick out & turn down too much?
    image.jpg

2nd Gear

Status

6th Gear

Status
    That bodykit suits the standard pipes imo.

2nd Gear

Status
    That bodykit suits the standard pipes imo.
    I think I'd agree!

2nd Gear

Status

A6 style exhausts

Does anyone know if it's possible to mod these exhausts to fit the GMBH bumper on the above A4? They don't turn down as much as the ones above. I wonder how it would look?..
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

God Mode

Status
    Should just be able to cut the tips and weld them on, would personally prefer RS6/RS4 but each to there own.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselJake View Post
    Should just be able to cut the tips and weld them on, would personally prefer RS6/RS4 but each to there own.
    I like RS4/6 tips too. I'm just curious about OEM downswept tips on a b6 as I've not seen it done before

God Mode

Status
    People generally just cut and weld bigger shinier tips, people also often do this to replace down turned exhausts but as I say it's just personal preference really, think it would be hard push finding pictures of b6's with downward facing tips though.

2nd Gear

Status
    People generally just cut and weld bigger shinier tips, people also often do this to replace down turned exhausts but as I say it's just personal preference really, think it would be hard push finding pictures of b6's with downward facing tips though.
    Yeah those pictures further up the thread are the only ones I found, and they look rubbish in my opinion. I like the look of the downward tips on the B7 3.0tdi or on A6's. I'd like to have twin exhausts but my car already gets pretty sooty, and I don't really get any noticeable smoke under hard acceleration!

God Mode

Status
    If you haven't already got the opening for the exhausts it would be a case of changing the rear valance as well as modifying the exhaust to have two exits which would be a fair bit of cash not to mention a pain in the backside. Would just opt for a bigger turbo back/cat back with a hidden downwards tip for performance purposes if that's the case, plus it would contain the smoke issue.

Status

My Social Networking

It might be worth trying to pick up the whole back boxes from a B7 TDi, I'm only surmising but it looks like the B7 tips are mounted differently on the box compared to the B6 tips. If you look at the B6 downward tips they sit a lot lower in the valance than the B7 downward tips do. If you cast your mind back to how my standard downswept tips looked when I fitted the twin exit valance, before the new tips were welded on you'll see what I mean.

2nd Gear

Status
    If you haven't already got the opening for the exhausts it would be a case of changing the rear valance as well as modifying the exhaust to have two exits which would be a fair bit of cash not to mention a pain in the backside. Would just opt for a bigger turbo back/cat back with a hidden downwards tip for performance purposes if that's the case, plus it would contain the smoke issue.
    Yeah I've only got the standard gmbh rear with no exhaust cut outs. It does look good but as you say maybe not worth the hassle! Any turbo back/cat back that you'd recommend? What the difference between those two types?

God Mode

Status
    Would personally say go to a local exhaust place and get them to make up a 2.5 inch pipe as lots of the ones sold are either the wrong fit or a very bad fit, there's lots of horror stories about even the most reputable companies. Turbo back is from the turbo backwards with no cat (only issue is if your tester NEEDS to see a cat, plus it may cause boost spikes), or cat back which is from the cat backwards.
    barkclark likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    It might be worth trying to pick up the whole back boxes from a B7 TDi, I'm only surmising but it looks like the B7 tips are mounted differently on the box compared to the B6 tips. If you look at the B6 downward tips they sit a lot lower in the valance than the B7 downward tips do. If you cast your mind back to how my standard downswept tips looked when I fitted the twin exit valance, before the new tips were welded on you'll see what I mean.
    I think I get what you mean lol. I looked through one of your threads and the downwards tips do look low down when you changed the valance!

2nd Gear

Status
    Would personally say go to a local exhaust place and get them to make up a 2.5 inch pipe as lots of the ones sold are either the wrong fit or a very bad fit, there's lots of horror stories about even the most reputable companies. Turbo back is from the turbo backwards with no cat (only issue is if your tester NEEDS to see a cat, plus it may cause boost spikes), or cat back which is from the cat backwards.
    I think I'll go for cat-back if I go down that route then

6th Gear

Status
    I have 100mm straight out tips on my 2.5 tdi and it's no dirtier than it was with hidden down swept.
    barkclark likes this.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackQuat View Post
    I have 100mm straight out tips on my 2.5 tdi and it's no dirtier than it was with hidden down swept.
    As above 90mm tips here, a bit dirty but it gives you the idea back1.jpg
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

2nd Gear

Status
    Looks good

6th Gear

Status
    I 'think' my tips needed a wash when I took this.

Clean nicely though.
    barkclark likes this.

2nd Gear

Status

A6 style exhausts

I seen this, a b7 valance professionally cut & moulded to the b6 bumper.
    image.jpg
    I think it looks good, then as far as I'm aware b7 exhausts are interchangeable with the b6, so it would just be a case of sourcing b7 turndown exhausts? I just would prefer the turndown exhausts as I tow a trailer tent regularly!

80-90mm tips do look good though, I just don't entirely like the look of standard twin cut out bumpers or the gmbh ones!
    Talk about being awkward... haha

Another picture of the B7 valance (not professionally moulded) but with twin tips it looks good!
    image.jpg

Status

My Social Networking

Easier just to buy an S4 rear bumper?

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah, I was under the impression they were quite expensive! Although I've just seen one on eBay for £180!