1.9tdi 130bhp & 150bhp difference

BigCat

Reaction score
Hi folks, i'm new to forum. Currently driving a 03 1.9tdi Quattro Sport. Its the 130bhp unit. Anyone know what differences are between it & vw 150bhp unit. Also i heard a rumour that i could fit the 2.5 tdi turbo with larger injectors. Anyone familar? Thanks.......Mark

Very different but very similar at the same time, just map it to take home 170bhp and budget for a clutch or go BV43 with a more expensive clutch for 200bhp or if your one of the few you'll need something even bigger with an adapter and then you might have to worry about injectors and a few other things.

Reactions: BigCat and BakPak
The differences in vw units were front mounted intercooler and different turbo internals on the more powerful one.

Reactions: BigCat
Front mounted intercooler... like the b6 1.9 haha would imagine the turbo's are fairly similar powerwise too.

From all accounts the 130 unit is the one to have. Heard a lot of people having problems with the turbo on the 150's.

Thanks for replies gents. Is BV43 a larger turbo? I heard a few nightmare stories about tuning boxes. Are remaps safer option for engine? Car is a little less responsive than 2wd version just would like it to accelerate a little bit quicker......

BV43 is from a 2.0tdi 170bhp and perfect match. Just map if your undecided, swapping turbo's is a slippery slope to bankruptcy (ask how I know :w00t:).

Reactions: ruffrida
I used to run a BV43 on my PD130 passat. 207bhp 345LB/FT of torque , a real sleeper, managed a 14.95 93mph best time at santa pod.
Just add turbo,Front mount intercooler and a map. EGR delete pipe is nice. And a Sachs organic clutch to handle the power.
Just click on the picture to play the movie, old man in diesel Passat estate beats S2000 , Oh how I laughed :) .

Karl.

Reactions: AudidriverA4, Wahlstrom, ruffrida and 5 others
Class mate......u got me thinking now lol. Which intercooler do you recommend? I take it that you had to upgrade brakes too?? Any reliability issues?

I used an Ebay FMIC kit and the brakes were 312mm discs with yellow stuff pads and they seemed to do the job.
I am an admin on the UKPassats site , there is a build thread for the car on there if you want to see what was done.

UKpassats.co.uk • Login

karl.

I used to run a BV43 on my PD130 passat. 207bhp 345LB/FT of torque , a real sleeper, managed a 14.95 93mph best time at santa pod.
Just add turbo,Front mount intercooler and a map. EGR delete pipe is nice. And a Sachs organic clutch to handle the power.
Just click on the picture to play the movie, old man in diesel Passat estate beats S2000 , Oh how I laughed :) .

Karl.

This just goes to show what an impressive engine the the 130PD really is. Swap a turbo, map it and add a FMIC and there you have almost Porsche baiting performance with 50MPG! If I still have mine in the next few years I think I will go down this route.

Woah 207bhp is really good, was there much on top of the things mentioned? Read your thread and seen exhaust, decat, a few other things just looking for things to add to my shopping list haha, 4 bar map sensor?

I did replace the downpipe with a THS item sadly no longer available but I don't think that really made much difference. Knocking the internals out of the cat and losing the rear box or putting a straight through one on are the things to do.
On the Passat the middle resonator isn't particularly restrictive although I did take it out it made no difference other than just a little louder.

This is the middle box on my Passat cut open,

Rear box is really restrictive on a Passat, and probably much the same on most VAG cars like this.

At Santa Pod things like weight are important so I used to take the rear seats out and the spare wheel, think most people do similar things, also my Passat only ran 16 inch standard A4 sport wheels. Part of the standard look but also much better when trying to set a quick time.

Karl.

Don't want to hog the OP's thread but there is lot's of info on the BV43 on my build thread. They are plug and play as long as you get the right BV43.

Sorry couldn't resist shifting it your way as mine's on a similar path and I'm envious of your results :happy:

Do you have any problems with emissions getting car through mot with cat internals removed?

This is awesome, just made me add more things to me wish list no lol, quality video, by by jap c**p, lol

Yeah me too..
Only problem is fitting the FMIC..
Tuners in my country says that the IC will cope, but injectors will not?!
And others says both cope to around 190-200bhp...
Only part that doesn't is the clutch/FW

Karl.

Was that an oe Sachs or the uprated SRE ?

I was running a standard 240mm clutch on my car, It was a new one but TBH for long term reliablility an Organic SRE clutch would have been the way to go. 345 Lb/ft is at the edge of what a 240mm standard clutch will handle, If the clutch had done 80K miles it probably would have slipped.
The Organic one would handle that level of torque easily, but they are expensive unfortunately.

Karl.

Reactions: barkclark
I was running a standard 240mm clutch on my car, It was a new one but TBH for long term reliablility an Organic SRE clutch would have been the way to go. 345 Lb/ft is at the edge of what a 240mm standard clutch will handle, If the clutch had done 80K miles it probably would have slipped.
The Organic one would handle that level of torque easily, but they are expensive unfortunately.

Karl.

Out of interest Karl how did your stock A4 3.0 tdi 240ps compare to the 207bhp passat?

Reactions: barkclark
Not that much faster TBH, The Audi obviously gets going quicker with the quattro but with extra transmission losses and extra weight the car when standard wasn't that much faster upto around 80mph but the extra torque / power starts to show after that. But my intention was always to map it to get the most from it.

Karl

Reactions: kanecullen89
Regarding fitting the uprated clutch.....any flywheel problems?? Is the clutch solid or organic type on these cars??

Clutch is organic as stock, would personally say it's best to stay in the same boat when/if upgrading.