Smaller mods thread

p1tse

Reaction score
What smaller mods have you done to your b6, either as small touchs, freshen up be it lights, led bulbs, mats etc.

Velour mats, carbon fibre wrapped interior trim, swapped rear headrests with the front, debadged, carbon fibre with audi logo tax disc holder, led interior bulbs... They're the smallest cheapest mods done to mine.

Ice white exterior bulbs from Trups, greatly modernises the exterior. EGR and inlet manifold clean made a huge difference to my car :)

Reactions: moggs
Velour mats, carbon fibre wrapped interior trim, swapped rear headrests with the front, debadged, carbon fibre with audi logo tax disc holder, led interior bulbs... They're the smallest cheapest mods done to mine.

I've just swapped the rear headrests with the fronts! Never realised how much better they looked!

Reactions: krisavant
Illumination of the cup holder and coin tray icon & also heater rollers, full led light upgrade, fitted red door lights as front footwell lights but wired into heater rollers to act as fotwell ambient lighting all small things but adds to the inside

I also upgraded my door and puddle light to led's from trups, really pleased and will post a couple of pics when dark.

Anyone tinted their side repeaters? I hate the chrome-y look. Thinking of using a light-medium tinting film on them?

Last edited:
I've just swapped the rear headrests with the fronts! Never realised how much better they looked!

WTF lol?

Can anyone explain why?

Also, I done a full LED upgrade every interior, puddle, footwell, red door light etc is LED, well worth it. The S4 has loads of extra lights everywhere!

Reactions: MooLard
WTF lol?

Can anyone explain why?

Also, I done a full LED upgrade every interior, puddle, footwell, red door light etc is LED, well worth it. The S4 has loads of extra lights everywhere!

In my car the front ones where more rounded/oval and the rears were more rectangular with straighter lines, so I swapped them over. Might sound mad but if anyone else's headrests are the same have a look and you'll see what I mean haha..

In my car the front ones where more rounded/oval and the rears were more rectangular with straighter lines, so I swapped them over. Might sound mad but if anyone else's headrests are the same have a look and you'll see what I mean haha..

Anyone got any comparison pics?

Probably not a mod for me as my S4 Recaros have a square headrest front and rear but interested in seeing the difference.

Probably not a mod for me as my S4 Recaros have a square headrest front and rear but interested in seeing the difference.

It's a not a huge difference, but I think it looks better and I'll never notice the ones in the back haha. No pics sadly but I could take some if anyone hasn't.

Fitted front ambient lighting, and dismantled a golf mk5 interior light assembly and wired the led's into the rear light unit of the a4. Sprayed the front indicator bulbs silver (to get rid of the orange fried egg look). Full led interior bulbs. led number plate bulbs & front sidelights. EGR reduction gasket, Which i will be removing very soon as just had it remapped with a egr delete! Wrapped front grills and rear bumper trim. (kinda a small mod) De badged.

Found this on another thread! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I did look into this and there is a fundamental safety floor.

Headrests are not actually the official names of these devices, this is a name that has been adopted even to the point to being titled as much in manufacturers brochures. They are officially called " anti-whiplash devices" as this is what they are designed to do. They prevent the head from being recoiled backwards after a major impact.

By swapping rear to front it may prevent the device performing its primary safety role, certainly something that should be taken into consideration when swapping them around.

I do agree that they do look better but it may be more harmful in a crash situation.

They do but are designed to perform differently.

Every EU vehicle is designed and crashed tested during and prior to sale to the public. Every single item has a purpose and is designed and tested extensively.

I have worked for many manufacturers as part of the design team for many road and race vehicles we all recognise today and you wouldn't belive the amount of effort and work that goes into very single feature.

A company I worked for crash tested a model of a vehicle in 2002 and failed to fit the stereo. This is something we, the public swap out on a whim. Because the engineers had failed to fit the stereo prior to all the crash tests the car was never able to be sold new with a stereo fitted.

I know this is not a safety item but I am just highlighting how strict these rules are. Lol

The rear headrest were not designed our tested fitted to the front seats and vice versa.

Carbon wrapped interior trim, loads better than the silver original. Replaced the tatty vinyl gearstick gaiter for a leather one. White led map lights, very crisp. Blue main interior lights, very trekki. Binned the standard chorus stereo for a blue tooth head unit, sounds loads better and my phone works perfectly with it. Worth doing considering the 6 points and £100 fine if you are caught by the rozzers on your phone. Folding cup holder on passenger side of centre console, brilliant bit of kit. De-badged the boot and painted audi rings black. Audi Sport.net sticker on rear window. Upgrade front headlight bulbs, much brighter with blue sides, very crisp with a blue hue. Replaced front bonnet grill with wire mesh panel.

I did look into this and there is a fundamental safety floor.

Headrests are not actually the official names of these devices, this is a name that has been adopted even to the point to being titled as much in manufacturers brochures. They are officially called " anti-whiplash devices" as this is what they are designed to do. They prevent the head from being recoiled backwards after a major impact.

By swapping rear to front it may prevent the device performing its primary safety role, certainly something that should be taken into consideration when swapping them around.

I do agree that they do look better but it may be more harmful in a crash situation.

Really good info GeoffDunk! I never would have thought about that!

Think I'll change them back! Especially when my girlfriend is in the car there's no point taking the risk!

Cheers

I tried it in mine.
Didnt like it.
Put originals back,looked to small in comparison with seats.

Really good info GeoffDunk! I never would have thought about that!

Think I'll change them back! Especially when my girlfriend is in the car there's no point taking the risk!

Cheers

Guys, I am just playing devils advocate so not judging anyone.

I do have some pet hates on here and usually its related to car development and safety which I see flaunted on a reg basis but each to there own, everyone can do what they like, i just thought I'd highlight it for those who don't realise the effort put in by manufacturers keeping you and you loved ones safe.

Tyre stretch, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........................don't even get me started on that one. Paul Hembrey thinks its crazy (Head of Parrelli Motorsport) and I know that becasue have sat and discussed it in person with him.

99% of you guys on here put a lot of effort into their motors and do some lovely work and I can appreciate not only the effort it takes, even for the smallest mod, but also the shear love of the auto enthusiast. I am a major petrol-head, I have worked in the Automotive and F1 design industry for over 20 years now and am a total nerd so I fully understand the passion.

keep up the good work and stay safe!

Geoff

I know your not judging but I do think you have a very valid point about the headrests. If it was just me in the car then that's my choice/risk to take, but when I have my girlfriend (and her nephews regularly) in my car, there's no point in taking the risk just for it to look slightly better :)

Putting a narrower tyre on on a wheel than is recommended for that wheel.

We are kinda going of topic he so maybe I should create another thread but here is a quick pic of what NOT to do with tyres. A classic problem of form over function. It's Ok...ish when cruising around town at 20 MPH but any high loading when hard cornering and there could be catastrophic consequences.

TYRE STRETCH

This tyre was not designed to operate outside of the designed envelope which its is being asked to do in the picture above.

Puts me off in terms of function aswell; boots on mine will always have plenty of girth :icon_thumright:

Thanks for all the posts

Would be good to see some led upgrades pics :)

Led interior shining through tinted windows and led number plate lights (now removed though, they looked blue reflecting off cars paint)

whos is this Trups i wouldnt mind getting the interior led kit and also sidelights and dips, looks the business barkclark

Look up the user T8up on here or also EMTuning in the sponsors section.
He sells bulb upgrades at very good prices. I got my dipped beams, sidelights and number plate bulbs for £27!

Reactions: ei2gfb