Crank locking tool problem.

phil mcglassup

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've made a start on changing my cambelt but I've hit a problem. All the parts were obtained before starting.e. locking kit, belt, tensioner, water pump etc.

The locking kit that I got is a Laser 3978 for PD engines, my A4 is a 2003 with an AVF engine. The camshaft pulley locking pin fits perfectly however the crankshaft locking tool will not mesh into the ribs of the crank pulley. When I tried to fit the tool against the old timing belt, the pitch of the ribs is a mile out !! The mark on the tool for the timing is at the 12 o'clock position, as it should be.

The local supplier who I bought it from is ordering another of the same kit just in case I was sold a pack with a rogue crank locking tool. As an option, they are also ordering a Laser tool 4199 which apparently is also for 1.9 PD engines, I believe this is the same as tool T10100

Any ideas anyone?

I think there may be two types of crank locking tool. This link confirmed it as it provides two types of crank locking tool.

Link

I've just been thinking some more about it.
I've just lined up the old cambelt to the tool side by side and this time the ribs are in alignment. Last time I tried to make the ribbed side of the belt fit the inside the curved face of the tool.
It must be a bad casting of the tool because 1) the pin won't locate into the hole in the engine casting when I try to fit it and 2) the radius of the tool is larger than the radius of the crank timing pulley i.e. it is flatter. Also, my engine is at TDC when the mark on the crank timing pulley is at the 12 o'clock position whereas the alternative tool is at the 1 o'clock position.

Hope that make sense and is there any other explanation?