Audi A4 1.8 5-Speed Transmission problems

Mgalekgolo

Reaction score
I pulled out of a parking lot, pulled out in first gear and when shifting, I found I couldn't get into the next gear. The clutch wouldn't come back up and was sort of shaking. I pulled to the side of the road and shut it off, then after starting the car I found I could move the clutch fine, but it wouldn't go into gear. Pushing the shifter as close as I could to first gear, it would roll forward a tiny bit (1-2 MPH) but wouldn't go any faster. I ended up pushing it into the nearest parking lot and called AAA, they towed it to the closest auto repair shop because I only have standard AAA.

When I was there it was a small lot, and they were closing up shop so they said they could look at it in a few days. I'm going to get it towed to the dealship most likely, but that's 30 miles away and just adds to expenses. While at the shop, I looked up a few things online and found that someone had a similar issue and they were able to shift gears while the car was off only, so I tried that, I was able to shift into all the gears without using the clutch. I started it in 1st and tried driving forward, but it made all sorts of weird noises and was very jerky, so I shut it off.

I'm 17 and this is my first car.

Using what I've described here, does anyone know what the problem most likely is?

Regards,
Myles​