ipod intergration rnse

jonnysmart

Reaction score
anybody offer advise i want more music capacity in my cab tried buying 4gb sd cards but they didnt work!! what about these gateways usb ect anybody had any experience with those????
chiz

You probably got SDHC cards when you bought 4GB ones - and the RNS-E won't work with SDHC cards (only SD ones).

I went "the whole hog" and swapped my RNS-E to a Mk2 version and swapped the CD changer to an AMI - that gives full iPod integration with not only control of the iPod from the RNS-E but also album & track information on the RNS-E screen (something none of the gateways can offer).

All depends what you want and how badly you want it.

i got the sd cards from flea bay and the guy specifically said they were normal sd cards not hc versions but they definatly dont work!! robbin b**terds!! i might keep an eye out for the setup you have as i would like the ipod control through the stereo, do you know if the AMI will work on my older unit?? whats the main differences between my unit and yours??

Led-lcd screen thats different, mk2 is quicker has slightly different ui and supports sdhc upto 32 gigs, right?

Led-lcd screen thats different, mk2 is quicker has slightly different ui and supports sdhc upto 32 gigs, right?
Also runs different firmware and supports AMI, but uses the same maps.

AMI will NOT work on a pre-2010 RNS-E, that's the reason I did the swap.

Petrol Dave, I'd be interested in the details of your AMI / MKII RNS-E installation and how much you spent on it. Is that the Audi AMI you are referring to?

I have a 2003 Allroad which had the dash replaced 2008 (at vast expense, by the previous owner) to allow installation of a (2008) RNS-E. A couple of years ago I looked at Dension Gateway products as a means of interfacing an iPod / USB drive with the RNS-E but it appeared that I'd never get proper track listings on the 2008 RNS-E. Firmware upgrade to 2010 was suggested but I never heard definitively that it would work and I gave up on that tone too.

Presumably you've been round the same loop, hence my interest. Were you able to sell on your old MK1 RNS-E?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Peter.

Petrol Dave, I'd be interested in the details of your AMI / MKII RNS-E installation and how much you spent on it. Is that the Audi AMI you are referring to?
Yes it is the Audi AMI - the CAN version not the MOST version.

I have a 2003 Allroad.
2003 Allroad, so that's the A6 based one not the A4 based one? That matters because there are problems with most of the 2010+ RNS-E models on the A6, only the very oldest hardware versions (from 2009/2010) can be coded for the A6 - which matters because the A6 needs a separate speed signal wire.

Were you able to sell on your old MK1 RNS-E?
Yes sold it to another member on RS246.

I have a 2003 Allroad which had the dash replaced 2008 (at vast expense, by the previous owner) to allow installation of a (2008) RNS-E. A couple of years ago I looked at Dension Gateway products as a means of interfacing an iPod / USB drive with the RNS-E but it appeared that I'd never get proper track listings on the 2008 RNS-E. Firmware upgrade to 2010 was suggested but I never heard definitively that it would work and I gave up on that tone too.

Presumably you've been round the same loop, hence my interest. Were you able to sell on your old MK1 RNS-E?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Peter.

I could be interested in mk1 version
Just want to spruce up interior and have sd card for music

What size sd memory is compatible with the mk1 and is there two slots?
Is the nav DVD based with mk1 and mk2 running the same DVD setup rather than memory?

Dave, thanks for your thoughts.

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference but my car is a '54 plate and therefore actually an early 2004, come to think of it. (V. low mileage though - garaged and hardly used for its first 5 years, I bought it 2010 with 34k on the clock, all checked out with Audi service records. Still only 72k now ...)

What you say about speed sense is interesting. According to the previous owner there was an 'issue' with the speed signal into my RNS-E and to an extent that remains the case. The car does provide the speed signal to the RNS-E one way or another - it can be seen by putting the RNS-E into engineering mode and the NAV system continues to operate correctly when I drive through tunnels in Switzerland. If my car wasn't originally wired for it, this was presumably instigated by Richter Sport when they did the installation. The issue that remains (which isn't a big deal) is that the sound level adjustment with speed doesn't work, no matter what mode I put the RNS-E into (and I think I've tried everything). Could this be related to car / RNS-E compatibility do you think?

Ideally of course, I'd like to do a trial install of a MK2 RNS-E in my car to see if it works before buying ...

Are you pleased with your MK2 RNS-E / AMI set up? What did you get for your MK1 RNS-E incidentally?

Cheers, Peter.

I run a Dension Gateway Lite BT in my B6 with a Symphony II. See: Gateway Lite BT | A2DP | Bluetooth handsfree calls

There is a compatability pdf somewhere on their site for the different standard audio setups for which model is required. Neat small units, behave as if a remote cd changer has been fitted, even though mine already has a 6 disc integral changer. Usually about £109 (ebay is your best bet, but you need to specify the correct model gbl3*** for your car/stereo to get the right leads to connet it to your headunit)

I connect my phone to it via bluetooth, gives me integrated hands-free. I can stream A2DP bluetooth audio straight to the car, whilst retaining the standard look of the interior. USB port, whether you use a usbkey or a usb sd card adaptor, I dont think it matters and you can put 4 different folders with up to 99 tracks in I believe. They appear as CDC1-4 to be selected.

You can get an iPod lead for the units, but I understand the control of it is from the iPod itself.

Have a bit of a read of their site.

What size sd memory is compatible with the mk1 and is there two slots?
Is the nav DVD based with mk1 and mk2 running the same DVD setup rather than memory?
Both the pre-2010 and the 2010+ RN S-E have two SD slots, but the pre-2010 will only accept SD cards where the 2010+ will accept SD or SDHC cards (but not SDXC cards, I've tried them). That means that in theory the pre-2010 RNS-+E can take 4GB SD cards, but they now as rare as hens teeth with many selling SDHC cards and saying they are SD cards.

Both RNS-E versions read the map directly from the map DVD, and use the same maps.

What you say about speed sense is interesting. According to the previous owner there was an 'issue' with the speed signal into my RNS-E and to an extent that remains the case. The car does provide the speed signal to the RNS-E one way or another - it can be seen by putting the RNS-E into engineering mode and the NAV system continues to operate correctly when I drive through tunnels in Switzerland. If my car wasn't originally wired for it, this was presumably instigated by Richter Sport when they did the installation. The issue that remains (which isn't a big deal) is that the sound level adjustment with speed doesn't work, no matter what mode I put the RNS-E into (and I think I've tried everything). Could this be related to car / RNS-E compatibility do you think?
Check whether the RNS-E has been correctly setup for GALA, the setting people often miss is adaptation channel 8 - which needs to be 0 for GALA and 255 for Bose AudioPilot).

Are you pleased with your MK2 RNS-E / AMI set up? What did you get for your MK1 RNS-E incidentally?
I'm very pleased with my setup, it's great having my entire music collection always available off the 250GB hard disc and getting decent album and track information. The higher resolution display allows a greater map area to be shown which is really useful when picking ratruns to avoid traffic jams.

It was 5 years a go that I fitted my 2010+ RNS-E and my memory isn't up to remembering what I got for it, I do remember that I sold it to a fellow rs246 member and got a fair price.