First Audi, which one should I get?

Tim17

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy an*Audi A4, I imagine the B6 model as my budget is only up to £3.5k.

What should I look out for when viewing/buying? Obviously the approximate mileage of the cars I will be looking at is going to be over 80,000 miles so I'm just wondering what I should be looking for with an A4 of that approximate milage, obviously the cambelt/waterpump should have been replaced by then but apart from that I don't know :/

Also I don't know what engine to go for? I could go for the petrol 2.0 FSI, at roughly 80/90k miles, or a diesel version which will probably have over 100k on it, I don't do many miles probably less than 9000miles a year. I just want one which will last me 4/5 years to run around in which will be reliable, I'm not too bothered about how powerful it is, my main concern is to get the most reliable engine! So at what point would the diesel variants have 'excessive' mileage and i should be careful when purchasing? Are the 2.0 FSI petrol engines any good?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Highly recommend the 1.9 tdi 130bhp. With a simple remap will be a fairly quick car with decent mpg figures. Best of both worlds.

Its a very reliable engine and can easily 200k plus if well looked after

I just recently bought a 1.9 tdi 130 avant. Runs sweet as and it's on 147,000miles! As said make sure timing belt and water pump have been changed. I need to change the thermostat and temp coolant sensor which seems to be a common problem, (improves MPG) but they are reasonably cheap and DIY to change!

Thanks guys, just doesn't seem right to be spending about 3k on a 11/12 year old car that has done over 100k :/, what about head gaskets on these 1.9 130bhp engines do they go at a rough mileage or? My VW Golf headgasket started to become worn at about 130k with the usual first symptoms.

Head gaskets are not a known problem 3.5k night get you a top of the range a4 tdi with loads of options fitted don't be put off with milage but if u do go for one around the 160k mark make sure it's had a clutch change as this can get expensive ;)

My 1.9 tdi 130bhp quattro sport has 108k. It drives just as good as it did when it had 60k. Its been ultra reliable (touch wood).
I honestly don't know what I'd replace it with if I was to sell it as it's such a good car.

Reactions: audilad9
As ^ above.
I'd be stumped to what to buy next??
I had a 1.9tdi pd lump vrs before this 1.9tdi pd audi. Absolutely brilliant engines in my book.
Mileage don't worry me one bit in these cars.

1.9tdi avant 150,000 ive just replaced water pump, cambelt, clutch and flywheel I hqve full service history and it appears they have never been done! Shes sweet as a nut and will last ages as I keep on top of her!

1.8t if your doing low milage, lots of spec for tuning and a great engine straight out the box.

Thanks for the replies! You all seem so confident in these engines which is good, unlike the response i got when thinking about buying a VW Passat B6, the 2.0 tdi in that is meant to be a nightmare and forever going wrong! I don't want to buy an a4 with more than 120k on it to be honest, but it seems it's pretty rare to find a diesel with less than that on it now :/ or if it does have less than that it's considerably more expensive, hmm decisions decisions! I won't be buying one for a few months yet though, so gives me time to keep looking.
I don't like the look of the black plastic trim around the bottom of the doors/bumpers, is it easy to get this colour coded? In other words would it be expensive lol? Cheers so far lads appreciate it!

Look out for Sport models with the GMBH kit. Some are not colour coded but most of them are!

My mechanic also knows a guy who runs a private taxi firm who always looks out for the 1.9's, be it audi/Skoda/VW etc. He sells them on at 300,000!

The 1.9pd has a good reputation on the audi a4 b6.
If been looked after,regular services,u wont go wrong.
Good luck in ur search. My hunt took ages,like u i did my research and was after the bombproof a4 b6 avant sport.
Mine was located in blackpool.i live near brighton.
It what i wanted,so went and got it.
:)

I can vouch for the 130PD too, even though mine started playing up but this is due to 2 years worth of short journeys which eventually made the turbo vanes sticky. So if you do get one make sure it is frequently used on long journeys. Go for the 53+ plate Sport models as these have the GMBH body kits as standard and look so much better IMO. Oh and get a remap too, totally transforms the car :D

My mechanic also knows a guy who runs a private taxi firm who always looks out for the 1.9's, be it audi/Skoda/VW etc. He sells them on at 300,000!

Sells them on at 300,000... Wow! I guess I just need to accept that these engines can last a long a long time as long they are looked after!

The 1.9pd has a good reputation on the audi a4 b6.
If been looked after,regular services,u wont go wrong.
Good luck in ur search. My hunt took ages,like u i did my research and was after the bombproof a4 b6 avant sport.
Mine was located in blackpool.i live near brighton.
It what i wanted,so went and got it.
:)

Sounds like me haha, every day I'm trying to research about it and find good information! I'm prepared to travel to the other side of the country if I have to, to find the right one! So basicaly I'm looking for a 1.9 tdi, with less than 150k miles on the clock, and colour coded skirts,bumpers, preferably in Black, manual, 3 spoke steering wheel, full service history, all for 3.5k max, could take me a while lol :D

I do less mileage than you and I'm a huge quattro fan.... my choice would be a 1.8T(190PS) quattro sport (S-Line for the 190's) Avant, manual... leather interior + Xenons.

If you think there's any chance you'll be doing 10k+ per year, then the 1.9TDI quattro (quattro is always a 130PS) would also give you around 175bhp with a remap and it's a lot more economical than the 2.5TDI quattro. FWD 130TDI is the most frugal, but they hold their values even better because of it and not worth it unless you actually need 55mpg+. The 1.8T will get 30mpg+ and the 1.9TDI quattro will get 45mpg+.

Either car, just check for service history, cambelt (AND waterpump).... they should have been done a couple of times by now, focus on the fact that it needs to be done every five years as that's the one that people will try to blag more than the mileage.

The main concern you'll have at this age is things like the clutch: check for weight of clutch pedal + slippage by putting it in as high a gear as you can at about 40-45mph - should be 5th, probably 6th and then right foot down hard and make sure the revs climb smoothly with the speed (no surges). It's a fairly expensive one to sort out, more likely to be a problem with a car that's been remapped and then driven carelessly.

The other real gremlin is if you can see any sign of electrical problems - spurious lights on the dashboard, or signs of water damage in the passenger footwell are decent warning signs.

Aside from that just run through the usual 2nd hand car checks: make sure all the electrics work, the heater warms up, no mayo in the oil, bearings don't grind, etc, etc.

Don't get too hung up on some of the ancillary extras like alloys, radios, or also things like some worn parts... a well worn, but well looked after car is better than one that's just been left unused and neglected by the last owned: some of those things are very cheap to fix: the switch gear like lights and window rockers are cheap and easy to replace if they're looking worn. On the toys, a late model SEAT Exeo RNS-E satnav is a more modern piece of kit than the clunky RNS-D or even the RNS-E on the later models... and it's a direct swap and almost indistinguishable from the Audi one.

Keep an eye on things that are expensive to retro-fit like leather seats though. Xenons are a grey area - pretty cheap to retro-fit (illegally), but you'll probably get away with it... a pain to retro-fit to be 100% legal.

...basicaly I'm looking for a 1.9 tdi, with less than 150k miles on the clock, and colour coded skirts,bumpers, preferably in Black, manual, 3 spoke steering wheel, full service history, all for 3.5k max, could take me a while lol :D

3 spoke wheel and colour coded trim means you're after a late model Sport: looks almost like the S-Line - some have been retro-badged to look like S-Lines, but they're not unless they're the 190PS 1.8T.

If you're okay with a Saloon, you'll get a lot more for your money....

This would be my pick:

Audi A4 1.8T 190 Quattro S line [6] 4dr

I'd be keen to know about the 2nd car on that same advert: "BLACK ONE 54 PLATE FULL HISTORY, 1.8T 190 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMBELT, NAVIGATION, LEATHER, XENONS, BOSE, 2 KEYS, £3,295" Sounds like a good spec, I'm guessing stellar mileage though...

If you're focused on the TDI, then this is very slightly over budget (and no leather), but it's a 1.9TDI quattro Avant and you might beat them down to £3600, possibly £3500.... Audi A4 1.9 TDI 130 Quattro Sport 5dr

The only thing I'd really avoid on the B6's is the multitronic (front wheel drive automatic) gearbox.
To answer your question about the 2.0: this sits on the list of a few other things I'd prefer to steer clear of, but that's just personal preference: the 2.4i is a bit of a dinosaur of an engine, with the same drivetrain, the 3.0 is the same on economy, lighter* and and more reliable. The 2.0FSI isn't a great option, unless you just need a cheap, basic local commuter... but if you want basic and reliable, the 150PS 1.8T is less likely to have been thrashed as there's less need to rev that one and it's a more robust engine.

* comparing the cabriolet 2.4 vs 3.0 (both are fwd on this model)

Last edited:
That's great information thanks Bahnstormer! Are the 1.8T engines also very reliable? I hear unless they've been serviced properly they can have sludge build up. I'm just worried about buying a high mileage car that I will need to spend alot of money on it which is not what I want, my Mk4 Golf almost started falling apart at 130k lol, headgasket was going, hydraulic valve lifters were tapping on cold start (had regular services with good quality oil), rear door wouldn't open for some reason from neither the inside or out, etc. etc.

I saw that Autotrader advert about that black one, looks nice in the pics, if I had the money right now I would contact them but unfortunately I don't, need to save a bit more money first so probably May/June time :(

My mate picked up a 3.0 quattro sport for 3.5k. Only had 50k miles on it, so there are some bargains around. His has the Vortex kit too, and only one owner from new. It's a great looking car and the 3.0 engine feels super smooth.

Reactions: Tim17
Yeh that sounds like a bargain! Although I don't want such a big engine haha, I couldn't afford to run the thing! Maybe that's why it was cheap/ish as people know it will be thirsty?

lol, he's already looking into a bi-turbo engine swap, far more interested in bhp than mpg. I don't get that good mpg from my 1.8t either though. If running costs are a concern then the diesels are probably the way to go, and as others have said very reliable too.

Well the problem is the majority of my journeys are only short (10to20mins to and from work for example), so it's alot of cold starts and also short town journeys, so a massive petrol wouldn't be good for me I don't think, I need to look at the MPG figures for the 1.8 turbo, I would like at least 35mpg to be honest.

My 130 pd Avant will avarage 40mpg, i would love to know how people are getting 55+,everything has been changed, maf, temp sender, thermostat and always running clean filters, i also have a tunnit chip fitted which makes it a much nicer drive, my commute to work is a mixture of A,B & motorway and even in higher temperatures i only get 43-45, i work mine out with a iphone app and not the DIS as i know this can be a bit flattering with the fuel figures.Overall though it is a great car with 152,000 on the clock and still going strong.

Last edited:
Could you tell me more about this 'tunit' chip please? Is it possible to use a tunit chip along with a remap aswell? Did you have any noticeable difference after installing? If so what did you experience? Sounds interesting.

Another vote for the 1.9 TDi PD130 here :arco:

I have a 53 plate 1.9 TDi PD130 Quattro Sport saloon that I've owned for 3 years. Its the best car I've ever owned to be honest and I've no idea what to go for next lol.

The engine isn't the smoothest or the quietest (my missus' 2007 2.0 TDi Cabriolet is smoother and quieter) but I love its punchy power delivery and how easily it revs. The PD units have a nice wide power band IMO compared to some modern diesels and its a very driveable car.

The Quattro drive train is epic in the snow and inspires confidence even if the Sport suspension does roll a bit in the corners. If you get too lairy then the back end steps out which is also good fun.

Mine has the cloth interior which has worn well even though the seats do mark quite easily. They are pretty confortable though and both the driver and passenger seats have an electric adjustable lumbar support. I'm 6ft 4ins tall and there's plenty of room for me.

Mine has 127,000 miles on the clock and I service it myself every 9-12 months. I can't fault how its run for me. It drives like its got 40,000 miles under its wheels and the mechanicals feel bombproof.

With a mixture of town and b-road driving I generally get between 37-41mpg which I think is pretty good for the performance of the car. I'm definitely considering a remap though as I've heard many good things about them. Many people do tweaked remaps which alter the power delivery so that the engine doesn't dump too much torque low down which hammers the clutch.

I've heard from reliable sources that the engine puts out more than the quoted 128bhp & 229lb/ft from the factory. The quoted 0-60 time of 10.1 seconds is also a conservative estimate. Its a quicker car than you might think.

The Quattro drivetrain seems to be kind to tyres too with even wear on the fronts and very little on the rears with a properly set up car. I've had over 20,000 miles out of a set of fronts before which was great after being used to a Seat Leon Cupra R 225 that ate rubber for fun.

As is always the case with PD engines, just make sure that the car has been serviced regularly (ideally every 12 months minimum) and that they have used proper PD oil when doing so. Many PD engines have been ruined by people using the wrong oil that can generally destroy the cams at higher mileages. The PD150 engine found in the Golf, Bora and Leon really suffers with this.

I'd also recommend getting the EGR valve and Intake Manifold properly cleaned and then the EGR blanked off. Higher mileage cars generally get very sooted up and eventually this kills the turbo, which can be expensive to get properly reconditioned. Get yours cleaned out fully and then blank off the EGR to stop the soot building back up. Costs peanuts and could save you a fortune.

The steering wheels usually wear smooth and the buttons on the aircon unit tend to rub off with time but there are kits on ebay where you can stick new covers on them to tidy it all up.

Look out for the water in the footwell too. This is caused by drainholes under the battery and brake servo getting clogged up so that water running off the windscreen builds up under the bonnet. A simple fix can also save lots of pennies.

All in all superb cars that are well worth the money. They have class and quality in abundance and still look the part too.

The end of line S-Line models are particularly nice too. They only came in 1.8T 190 spec and usually have full leather too. The 18in S-Line alloys particularly suit the car and with the OE mudflaps it looks great. My favourite colour is the Akoya Silver in this spec, though scarlet red looks awesome too.

The 1.8T engine is prone to coil pack failures and if my Seat Leon was anything to go by the electronic boost valves can play up at higher mileages. Its also not the smoothest engine and can sound quite thrashy at higher revs and motorway speeds. It is very tuneable though which is nice.

I struggled to get anywhere near the 32mpg average the factory claimed with this engine. Even with driving like an old dear I rarely got more than 28mpg and so I imagine with a heavier Quattro drivetrain I would expect economy to suffer further. Also road tax isn't cheap due to the high emissions.

All in all, I don't think you can go too far wrong with a B6 providing you do your homework. This forum is an excellent place to be with loads of very helpful people.

Good luck! :salute:

J:)

Reactions: pauldazzle, Tim17 and SmoothAssault
Could you tell me more about this 'tunit' chip please? Is it possible to use a tunit chip along with a remap aswell? Did you have any noticeable difference after installing? If so what did you experience? Sounds interesting.

As for the chip itself i would suggest you pop onto their website and have a read of what iit does and how it works, but as for personal experience:

I went for a Tunit over a remap as across our family we have used them on a number of cars ranging from small Kia's to 4x4's and also a couple of motorhomes, the unit itself is interchangeable between vehicles normaly with just a loom change and the unit reprogrammed.as for this particular car i have found the Tunit makes a huge difference to how the car drives,it is much smoother through the rev range and also seems to have cured a flat spoot i used to have,as for the fuel gains that is a little hard to say as the few times that i have disconnected it to do a comparison after about half a tank you get fed up with the seemingly lack of performance and connect it back up again.
The service from the dealers is excellent and there are numerous local agents who can supply and fine tune the units to your car via laptop ( although i have not had this done), the chip has 10 settings to give you a good balance from fuel saving to performance depending on what you are looking for, as said the unit can simply be unplugged if you need the car to go to the dealer for anything( although many now are happy with remaps ), the chip itself is not cheap and properbly on par with a remap but as said can be unplugged and used on different vehicles and coupled with the recommended Allard EGR delete has been a great option for me.
I like many others on here will strugle to find a better all round car than the B6 130 pd and can only see me changing it for a B8 black edition but the B6 will have to be well and truly dead for me to do that.

I cant really add to this as everything has already been said

oh apart from over 300k on my 1.9tdi and still going strong :D

I know of a taxi going round with more than 450k on the clock!!!

Wow, some epic replies there guys thank you so much! I don't know where to start, i think i will definately go for the 1.9tdi 130 engine as everyone has pretty much sold it to me with their confidence/passion for these engines which is awesome, you should all be salesmen! ..Wait, you're not all sales men are you? Haha.

I now have a good idea what to look out for when buying, seems like the most important thing is service history to make sure it's been looked after! I feel a bit more at ease now also with buying one with over 100k miles, you have all been fantastic and it's nice to experience a helpful forum! I think i've run out of questions to ask but if any of you feel to add any more information then feel free! Of course when i eventually purchase one i well let you guys know :D :D

the only real thing you need to watch for is to make sure its been run on the correct grade of oil and changed every 10k or so if not then its been on long life service which isn't much of a problem on the tdi as it is on the 1.8T

if the wrong grade has been used it can cause wear on the cam lobes

main dealer or independent specialist is the way to go

make sure it get up to temperature with the heating on and doesnt cool off when you come to slow driving and make sure the cambelt and water pump are done

On any you go and visit, open the glovebox and see if the hinge has snapped. It's expensive to replace the whole glovebox but people have managed some reasonably tidy DIY fixes. The centre arm rest catches can snap too, so check those out if any you view are fitted with arm rests.

Not exactly deal-breakers but may help you negotiate a better price if you can point out any broken bits.

Also, (I found this REALLY annoying) the saloons didn't come with rear folding seats as standard, it was an extra. So worth checking if that's important to you. Rear electric windows were another option, and really bugs me that I don't have them.

What exactly is the correct grade of oil for the 1.9? Also, will it actually say in the service history what grade of oil has been used for each service? Otherwise how should i know :/.

Yeh i find it really odd that the a4's don't come with electric rear windows as standard considering it's an Audi for christ sake!
I was looking through one of the the threads for people posting pictures of their cars, and i came across this one;

S5000656

It looks the bees knees and exactly what i am looking for! But my main question is, i love the look of the exhaust on either side but i'm guessing that is not standard on any of the 1.9tdi models? The car in the pic is a 1.9tdi according to the pic.

5w30 but it has to meet certain specs it wont say in the service manual what grade was used but main dealer or independent specialist will use the right stuff ;)

no them exhausts aren't stock but they are easily fitted from other A4's

You need a V6 to get rear electric windows as standard...

Reactions: stu_m
Or get an SE for the full interior kit/options and retro fit the sport/GMBH kit, suspension etc to look the same.

I preferred the late GMBH sport route and modded the interior.

Just make sure the car is a good one as I saw so many rough examples. Spent a good year looking for mine as wanted the GMBH/sline kit on a 1.9 130 in Akoya with low miles (50k) one owner and finally found it.....paid a premium price of £7k for an 8 year old car 2 years ago, but its great as did not want the B7 unless in RS4 dress :) which will be next for sure

Don't rush in to buy one as said previously, there can be a few rough ones about.

My cousin who's a big Audi guy always said to me the right one will come along. I searched for 6 months, nearly made some purchases but decided to hang off. Then one popped up 18miles from my front door with exactly the spec I wanted! 1.9tdi Avant Sport, Akoya, with colour coded GMBH kit. 6 speed box. Full Audi service history, cambelt and water pump were just done. 4 new tyres. MOT'd for a year and tax for 6months! Body work in good nick, and decent interior!

Good things come to those who wait! :)

Last edited:
Bought mine 2 years ago with 160k FASH 2 previous owners, it's now on 196k & I love it so much I can't bring myself to sell it on.
Mileage isn't a concern on these cars, but condition & a verifiable service history is. Don't take a stamps in a service book as proof it's been serviced either. BEWARE there are plenty of forged service books out there.

From memory you need to get oil that is 505.01 spec. Comma do a specific "PD Grade" oil for the Pulse Deuse VAG engines that meets the exact spec you need. I've used both 5w 30 and 5w 40 oils on mine that meet the correct spec.

Being a 1.9 litre engine it will hold around 3.8 litres of oil.

The TDi models of the B6 range each have the exhausts tucked away behind the rear bumper out of sight. The quattro models have twin pipes at each side and the FWD models have a single pipe at the left hand side (near side) with a twin pipe silencer.

The car in the pic (which is blo00dy gorgeous btw) has a rear bumper from a 1.8T 190 spec car fitted along with some non-standard tailpipes. This is quite a nice and tidy job too as I've seen many car with silly oversized pipes fitted that stick out too much and really spoil the look of the car. The black car clearly has Mercedes wheels on it which actually look good, but I'd swap the centre caps for Audi ones if possible if it was my car.

The later B7 spec TDi cars (from 2005 onwards) had downward facing exhausts that poke out of the rear bumper with chrome ends on them. They look quite nice IMO.

J:)