making flame thrower with my tdi inlet ;)

bradh

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
had a bit of a play today with cleaning out my egr (leaking quite badly) on the rubber seal so removed it to clean it along with the inlet manifold started off with just gunk giving it a good scrub then a bath in some petrol to give it a clean then hung it out to dry out came up pretty clean not as gunked up as i thought it would be but the inlet on the other hand wow full of crap so soaked it in mr muscle for 30 min then soaked it in gunk for about an hour then added some petrol and allowed to soak for about an hour give it a good old scrubbing most of the crap came out but still very sticky so i set it on fire :) to dry and make all the carbon go crumbly so i can scrap it out currently its back in the petrol and gunk bath over night for extra long soak and il dry it off with fire tomora before re fitting lol

hears some pics :

flame thrower mode lol

Reactions: kanecullen89 and DieselJake
If anyone in or around Birmingham could give us a hand with mine it would be much appreciated as I don't trust myself under a bonnet (will give a couple quid too).

really easy to do buddy im in redditch so pretty local

put it all back together this morning changed some of the vac lines to as they had some nice large chaffing marks on them with the smaller egr gasket they little flat/hesitant bit has completely gone witch is nice too

Done this the other day also, as my 1.9 just turned over 100,000, I was very surprised how clean it was, hardly sooted at all.
Mr muscle is good stuff!
Slightly heavy foot have helped :)

the egr was pretty clean compared to pictures iv seen of others the inlet was as caked up as i was expected hence why i had mr muscle gunk and petrol on stand by for cleaning but they thing that worked the best was setting fire to it as normally the crud is sticky and slighly wet so once it was set on fire it burns the oil out and dry the crap up meaning that it was quite easy to scrap the crusty bits out

some quick pics of it going back together :

new smaller hole egr gasket and new rubber o ring seal:

all back together

How easy was it to remove the EGR and inlet? Im going to clean mine out (egr from the outside looks oily) and I'm also going to buy the smaller gasket. What is the o ring seal for?

O ring seal is for the Egr to inlet gasket as that's ware mine was leaking from I changed it , super simple to remove it buddy get air box and engine cover out the way I removed the Egr on its own then inlet after Egr is 3 5mm Allen key bolts and inlet is about 6 6mm Allen key bolts plus the 2 12mm bolts for the Egr return pipe to the exhaust manifold

Cool! I was a bit weary of doing it but I just need to get off my a**e and do it, it looks simple enough! Do you recommend I replace the O ring seal whilst it's off?

Last edited:
i would the o ring seal was £7 odd off ebay the smaller metal gasket was about £5 off ebay too

Is there a specific size / part number for the seal? Yeah Ive seen the gasket on eBay, will purchase that tonight!

I failed to get my three egr bolts off when I attempted this, when I'm ready to try it again I'll, order new bolts, or ring ad gasket at the same time.

Yes the 1 by underneath was a bit of a pain but iv got a long seekers set of Allen keys so I was able to undo it from back of the engine bay

Is there seals needed for both end of the EGR? One connecting to the inlet manifold and one connecting to the 90degree black pipe? It's just my EGR seems to be leaking from both sides, plus there's a little oil sitting just inside the EGR where the black pipe connects to it!

There is a seal on both a o ring on the Egr to inlet and on the pipe an o ring too but I never replaced this