2.5 v6 TDI oil!?

ArtBet

Reaction score
Just visited my local Audi dealer and bought oil filter and oil and now i am a bit confused. They gave me Castrol GTX 10W40 half synthetic oil! When i had my last service i used 5W30 Long Life Quantum. Is this Castrol GTX 10W40 any good or should i return it and buy 5W30? Engin is 2.5 v6 TDI BDG. Thanks in advance !

Are you on longlife servicing?Hope not but if so you will need that spec

Castrol GTX - what the! - Stay away from that.

Fully synthetic is what you need, service manual recommends 5-30 however a few of us on here run 5-40 as we believe it provides better protection at higher temperatures.

I use Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 and change every 6k.

Castrol GTX - what the! - Stay away from that.

Fully synthetic is what you need, service manual recommends 5-30 however a few of us on here run 5-40 as we believe it provides better protection at higher temperatures.

I use Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 and change every 6k.

Thanks!
That's what i was told by Chris when he did the cambelt, that's why i was a bit confused when they gave me this GTX stuff.
Didn't expect anything like this from Audi.

5W 30 LongLife is your best bet and enjoy some fuel savings too. Just use it as an ordinary oil, I change mine every 6 months.

A Longlife oil has a superior higher additive package

5W 30 LongLife is your best bet and enjoy some fuel savings too. Just use it as an ordinary oil, I change mine every 6 months.

A Longlife oil has a superior higher additive package

Thakns for clearing this up! Now i have to pay another visit to my local Audi dealer and get a refund.
What make of oil did you use?
Thanks!

From TPS on an oil bonanza promotion, Quantum Longlife III 5L for £17 + vat :cool:

That's the one i used last time i did my service but that was in UK. Now i am in Latvia.
I tried to source it here in Latvia, but i gues it's UK-only brand. I am thinking to use Castrol Edge.