Camshaft Sensor fault :S

Audi-anb

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just recently purchased a 2001 A4 B6 1.8T Sport (AEB - 150bhp)

Car has sat for roughly a year and half off the road so had a few problems to start off with (ABS light/Airbag light/EML/Traction control)

I have fixed all those problems, but looking into the history in July 2011 the engine suffered the dreaded oil pump problem.. All replaced and timing chain and belt etc.

The car has a rough idle and seems to have lack of power, i ran a VCD scan on it bringing up fault code:
17939/P1531/005425 - Camshaft Timing Adjustment: Open Circuit

Along with a missfire in cylinder 3

This weekend i am going to service the car, replace any dozed looking hoses etc

Will test the wiring to the Camshaft sensor with it noting being open wether its connected or not

The reason i put up the question is that there could be numerous avenues that connect to this and if anyone else had this problem?

I have worked on golf cupra turbo engines but not the audi b6 engine

Any advice/help would be great

17939/P1531/005425
Contents [hide]
1 17939/P1531/005425 - Camshaft Timing Adjustment: Open Circuit
1.1 Possible Symptoms
1.2 Possible Causes
1.3 Possible Solutions
17939/P1531/005425 - Camshaft Timing Adjustment: Open Circuit

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Camshaft Adjustment Valve (N205) faulty
Camshaft Adjustment Valve (N205) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Camshaft Adjustment Valve (N205)
Check/Replace Camshaft Adjustment Valve (N205)

As for the misfire, it could be a coil pack or a naff spark plug. Coil packs were recalled on certain part numbers on the 1.8T. Some people have successfully (very recently) had these replaced by Audi BUT make sure they are all genuine, same part numbers coils or Audi won't touch it.

Thanks Dan..

I know the coilpacks where replaced before i had the car as i checked everything about its history, i dont mind replacing them if needs be, could be because it lay for a good while the plugs need looked at.. tho once warm and running the only fault code is the Camshaft sensor open circuit...

Does anyone know the fuses to check? i have heard of failed relays too, but dont know which ones either

Is a vvt unit fitted on the end of the head? Given head has been changed to an aeb one. Vcds will operate vvt on output tests too so that will be worth a try if the PO actually swapped the tensioner over

Broken Byzan

I will get a good look tonight after work, is the VVT unit located at the rear of the head?

How will i know if its the correct tensioner? is it a big job to sort?

It will be at rear of head tube shaped thing with a square plug on it. Mega pricey to buy new iro 350 . Look at the car and run an output test and go from there

Guessing you need the full Vag com for output test? (My bro has it so will be the weekend before i get using it)

Do you know the output codes to be checking?

I only have the VCD light myself for handiness really..

Hopefully its not that, at that price :S

Car has low miles for the year 89K and it soared through mot on Monday so would like it to be a keeper and get a few mods done once iv it running 100%

In engine section select output tests and it does it for you. I do believe it needs to be full version. It takes 10 seconds to validate if it physically there and about 30 to connect vcds and run test

Il get it checked out and will post my findings or if i get it sorted...

Do the actual Camshaft sensors fail often?

Not as an open circuit no. Normally set point not reached or rattling it's nuts off. I suspect it's faulty so not plugged in. Or more likely missing when head was swapped

Il check that the VTT is there/plugged in..

I did remove the plug from the Camshaft sensor inside the timing belt cover and there was no change in anything but still gave the same code that was an open circuit

It wouldn't make any odds as it's complaining about open circuit on vvt mech. Not a mis timing issue or missing cam sensor issue

No probs, il try get looking to see if the VVT mech is there or plugged in when i get home and will post up my finding

Thanks for the advice so far

Ok, realised the engine code is actually ANB

I do have the vvt unit there, I tested voltage to it and the camshaft sensor..
After I cleared the open circuit fault and then i changed to intermittent, which then let me clear
Took car for a run, boosted and drove properly, few mins later, back to open circuit..

Think il need to test the two parts using vagcom?

Last edited:
Good news, no more rough idle after replacing some of the dozed hoses, no warnings lights running fine but on still throws code up on computer :s noticed my injector seals weeping.. Is there a thread on this already? Looking dimensions to order or where to get them?