Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrismawa
  • 1 Post By BlackQuat
  • 1 Post By DieselJake

Thread: KandN or Pipercross filter

2nd Gear

Status

KandN or Pipercross filter

Hi just wondering which panel filter to go for as I need a new one anyway so just wanting peoples opinions and experience. I know people say they don't make any difference but I'm just gona get one anyway lol. Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    K&N, Green Cotton & Pipercross are what i've used in the past. To be honest, the Pipercross induction filter gives an awesome noise due to the foam structure. But induction kits tend to kill MAFs.....
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

Neutral

Status
    I run a BMC panel filter, have only used BMC in my previous cars also and they are spot on. Extremely good quality. I take mine out every 6k or so and give it a clean and pop it back in.
    Audi QS Avant 1.9tdi-few subtle mods

2nd Gear

Status
    That's the only thing putting me off is if it kills my air flow meter bit isn't that to do with if you over oil them or is it just because of the amount of extra air flow. I'm tempted to go for pipercross has anyone had a filter damage their MAF or is this just down to the MAF all ready been on the way out as it is fairly common fault anyway as I have all ready replaced mine for a new Bosch item.

1st Gear

Status
    For me just a standard paper Mahle item.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    It's mainly the induction kits that are pre-oiled and require oiling after a clean.

Panel filters tend to be dryer.....
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

5th Gear

Status
    Just fit OE filter, the only difference with K and N and similar is they cost more and the oiled ones screw up the MAF if slightly overoiled.
    Also the performance ones don't filter as well. There is no difference on a dyno,
    When I was on the dyno with my 130 TDI Passat I took the OE filter with 10K miles on it out, and ran it without a filter. On a 200bhp car it made about 1bhp and 4Lb/ft of torque more.
    I cut apart an old air filter and stretched it out on the drive, it was 28ft long.

Karl.
    Karls 312bhp A4 3.0 TDI build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ld-thread.html

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks all I be ordered a pipercross panel filter I'll see how it performs and if its naff I'll revert back to standard one thanks for your input it's really helpfull.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by desertstorm View Post
    I cut apart an old air filter and stretched it out on the drive, it was 28ft long.

WOW! Were you bored? lol. That's pretty impressive though, the length of the filter laid out!

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

5th Gear

Status
    I have used both OE and pipercross and in my experience it made no noticeable difference at all only pipercross cost 3 times as much.
    A4 AVANT 1.9TDI 130 SPORT:
    18" RS6'S//TWIN EXHAUST//ALLARD EGR DELETE//AERO WIPERS//B7 KEYS & ENGINE COVERS//BLACK OPTICS //FRONT & REAR S-LINE BUMPERS//TAILGATE SPOILER//S4 HEADLIGHTS,GRILLS & DOOR BLADES//RS4 RARB & PEDALS//FRONT,REAR & FOOTWELL AMBIENT LIGHTING//PUDDLE LIGHTS//FAN JETS//MEDIA SYSTEM//T.V//7" HEADREST MONITORS//REAR BLINDS//REVERSE CAMERA// CRUISE & DIS

different gear

Status
    I found pipercross poor quality,rubbers seams around edges came apart.
    A4 avant b6.1.9 avf 6 speed. Bv43 turbo.uprated fmic. More bhp custom map. Powerflow straight through twin pipes. Allard delete kit. Boost,egt, + voltage gauges. Ball,spring boost controller. Fk silversport coilovers. 312mm brake upgrade. B7 multifunc steering wheel. Full dis. Cruise control. Auto locks. Rs4 rear bumper. Full rs4 grills. Drls + hids. 10inch custom sub + amp. Rear parking sensors. Leds everywhere. Parrotkit full speaker streaming. silver 4d carbon interior.never ending...

2nd Gear

Status
    The pipercross I've ordered states it has a lifetime warranty so any issues I'm sure I'll take up with pipercross I hope their isn't any though lol.

different gear

Status
    Saying that,i should of checked mine. Got it off the bay.
    A4 avant b6.1.9 avf 6 speed. Bv43 turbo.uprated fmic. More bhp custom map. Powerflow straight through twin pipes. Allard delete kit. Boost,egt, + voltage gauges. Ball,spring boost controller. Fk silversport coilovers. 312mm brake upgrade. B7 multifunc steering wheel. Full dis. Cruise control. Auto locks. Rs4 rear bumper. Full rs4 grills. Drls + hids. 10inch custom sub + amp. Rear parking sensors. Leds everywhere. Parrotkit full speaker streaming. silver 4d carbon interior.never ending...

6th Gear

Status
    Got a K&N panel filter for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.......5k miles use and £25 delivered.

Removed from car when I bought it as prefer the paper filter being a TDI
    Mike

B6 A4 1.9 TDI Sport 130 - GMBH/S-Line kit - Akoya Silver
    - BUILD THREAD >>

Reverse Gear

Status
    Let me know if you get any increased intake noise. My turbo on my BEX is almost silent! Id like more of a noise; but dont want to run an open cone filter.

Neutral

Status
    My car came with a pipercross filter..... and a near dead MAF

1st Gear

Status
    OEM all the way!

6th Gear

Status
    Genuine paper.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

6th Gear

Status
    The K&N I took out of mine was fine but my car just did not like it too much.
    Mike

- BUILD THREAD >>

2nd Gear

Status
    What do you mean by not liking it were there symptoms just incase mine starts getting any.

2nd Gear

Status
    DAle. Update?

God Mode

Status
    Update is me and Dale need to see who has the fastest 1.9tdi
    deano1978 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ha ha ha I'm just waiting on getting it mapped now and I should of listened and just gone for a standard paper filter as the pipercross hasn't made any noticeably difference not even in sound .

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry noticed this. Mine started to burn more oil with it in oddly. When I put the OEM paper version back in oil consumption disappeared.

Odd I know but it happened on my engine and always used K&N in past cars without issues.

Sound wise the K&N filter made the turbo blow off louder than the paper.
    Mike

- BUILD THREAD >>

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.M View Post
    Sorry noticed this. Mine started to burn more oil with it in oddly. When I put the OEM paper version back in oil consumption disappeared.

Odd I know but it happened on my engine and always used K&N in past cars without issues.

Sound wise the K&N filter made the turbo blow off louder than the paper.
    So basicAlly stick with oem. In USA they have a brand called afe which doesn't use oil but sounds like the k&n.