Hybrid Finally Fitted

dale86

Reaction score
Finally fitted my hybrid yesterday thank the Lord . It wasn't too bad of a job quite accessible with the aid of a ramp as it was needed to be up in the air to get at the oil return pipe bolts and remove the brace on the turbo unit. After it was all buttoned up and changed the oil and filter then primed and left idleing for a good 45 mins I took it on the maiden voyage and was happy enough except for a strange noise which sounds Like a whooshing when the turbo comes on song. Is this just because the turbio is sucking more air in its that kind of noise, does anyone else have this. Thanks Dale

Reactions: DieselJake
Think I have the same on mine like a pssssstttttt when it's high up the rev range if it's the same, sounds kind of cool but could be something bad no idea. Which hybrid did you go for?

Its just the same unit that is fitted to my awx but hybrid bigger compressor wheel and whatever else they do lol yeah sounds good but a bit worrying too . It starts as soon as the turbo comes in then goes away or I just can't hear it over my exhaust ha ha ha .

Have you checked, checked and double checked the hoses and clamps? If they are not tightened properly, the extra boost could be squeezing past them.

Have you changed the air filter at all? Fitting an induction type filter increases the turbo noises.....

Checked all pipes vigorously and seemed fine but I do know a I have a boost pipe that is in need of changing but I have a boost gauge fitted and it's holding boost fine. I have a normal filter fitted but I'm just about to purchase a panel filter. Thanks

Sounds good. Got a k&n panel filter in the garage that is for sale at £25 delivered if interested.

It's done about 5k miles

Sorry just ordered pipercross mate wish you popped up. About 30 mins ago lol

I would have it pressure tested just to be sure. Sounds like the increase in boost is finding a weak spot.

Hopefully not being silly but unless the car has been mapped since fitting the hybrid being a hybrid alone doesn't increase the amount of boost.

You may be hearing a more crisp sound from the turbo merely because it's a new/refurbished unit so doesn't have 100k+/- of soot in there anymore.

I've had hybrids on my old golf and generally a nice whoooshing sound was good.

Hopefully not being silly but unless the car has been mapped since fitting the hybrid being a hybrid alone doesn't increase the amount of boost.

You may be hearing a more crisp sound from the turbo merely because it's a new/refurbished unit so doesn't have 100k+/- of soot in there anymore.

I've had hybrids on my old golf and generally a nice whoooshing sound was good.

The hybrid won't produce any more boost if it's not mapped assuming the same actuator is run but will flow more air for the same boost.. So 15psi out of stock turbo and 15psi out of a hybrid will be different...

Also if you're running the same tip it may well be noiser as it's trying harder to suck the air in... You really need a bigger tip with a hybrid

Exactly thats what I was getting at (not explained as well :-D ), so a hybrid will sound noisier processing more air that standard but doesn't register anything different on the boost gauge until mapped.

Sorry was under the impression it had been mapped. Also didn't realise it was a diesel lol! I assume the same catastrophic failures from running can't occur on a diesel? Is it not a bigger turbo? Just a hybrid standard turbo?

Hi it is all ready mapped and yes it's just a hybrid standard turbo it does seem a little bit quicker and seems to pull for longer in the rev range. I will be getting it mapped again though obviously.