Picked up my new car!

barkclark

Reaction score
Picked up my new car the other day! 53 1.9tdi FWD with 147,000 on the clock! I love it! Big change from my wee fiesta I had. Not many pictures but it's already had it's first coat of polish!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463077967967
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463087436529

Reactions: THQuattro and DieselJake
Welcome, nice car you have there :)

Cheers guys. It was taken at my work. It's a wee place called Craignethan Castle. I work for Historic Scotland as a stonemason!

Reactions: spartacus 68
Carbon wrapped my gear surround! Next on the list is uprated bulbs as one has just blown!

Last edited:
Carbon wrapped the front upper grill. Would have preferred the pattern to go the opposite way but it wouldn't fit on the spare wrap I had, it'll do for now though!

Reactions: ruffrida
I wasn't too sure on the grill. Just done it for the sake of it. Love it already though! Next is lower grill and plastidipped badge in black.

Nice. I did my grilles about a week ago in Matte Black. But I've left my rings chrome as the car is a weird (dark-ish) green colour, I think the rings in black would make it all a little too dark at the front....

Dan

Maybe so seeing as your car colour is quite dark to start with! I'm going for Gloss black badge, so it'll stand out a little against the Akoya and satin black coloured grills!

Cheers

Daylight picture. You can see the vast improvement compared to the cloudy/corroded lower grill! That's next!

Lower grill carbon wrapped! That's the front off to a good start! I'll be upgrading the sidelights, dipped & full beam to 'ice white' from T8ups at the end of the month!

Last edited:
Daylight view of the finished grills! Picture doesn't do it justice really! Black or chrome badge?!

Last edited:
I like chrome rings with chrome lights, it's a good look.

I'm undecided what to go for. Although if I go for a black badge I'll definitely tint / paint my headlights! I do think the black grills make the front end a little more aggressive looking!

I can't tell from your photos, do you have chrome window surrounds or are just just the black plastic mouldings? I lot of people have been wrapping the window surround chrome too, which looks great with the de-chromed grilles.

I can't tell from your photos, do you have chrome window surrounds or are just just the black plastic mouldings? I lot of people have been wrapping the window surround chrome too, which looks great with the de-chromed grilles.

It currently has chrome window surrounds, which I plan on wrapping in satin black, along with the roof rails and chrome rear bumper protector thing.

I noticed some black carbon looking stuff around my egr valve so I assume it's leaking / pretty badly blocked up!

So I blocked off the vac pipe on my egr to see how it would run.

Definitely feels more responsive! I also noticed turbo whistled slightly louder and picked up at about 1800rpm compared to around 2000rpm, but I have no idea if it would be related?

As expected, being a 53 plate the EML came on.

Can I buy egr blanking plates and leave the vac plugged in or will the EML still come on?

I've also read you can get a gasket from a mk3 Ibiza that has a smaller hole for gases to pass through but I assume it won't be as good as a proper egr blank?

Any info would be helpful! Cheers :)

Last edited:
Decided that I'm going to clean out the EGR and inlet and I've ordered the gasket with the smaller hole and new O ring seal.

Also I've placed an order for ice white sidelights, dipped beam and number plate bulbs from Trups!

Last edited:
Received the smaller gasket for when I clean the EGR this weekend! :)

Where is best to fit this? On the end attached to the EGR or the other?

Last edited:
Closest to the EGR so not to make a collection chamber in the tube

Reactions: barkclark
Cleaned out the EGR and inlet today. Also fitted the smaller hole gasket and new O ring seal!

Pretty gunked up:

Not the cleanest as I was short on time but much better! No pics of the cleaned inlet sadly.

Don't know if it's related and I know the trip computer isn't the most reliable but I travelled 30miles today and usually my miles to empty will drop accordingly or there abouts. But over those 30miles my miles to empty went from 455 up to 505! I have no idea if it's related to the work I've done but I'm certainly not complaining :D

Last edited:
So my EML came on today. The smaller gasket I fitted must still be triggering it to come on!

Is it okay to run it with the EML on?

I guess the next step should be that I just blank the EGR and get it mapped out?

EDIT: EML has went off again haha!

Last edited:
Few things on the go. Washed and polished the car (pics to follow), fitted a new headlight switch and received my ice white lights from Trups!

Before: (Don't know why they have uploaded sideways but it's too much hassle fixing it on my phone haha)

After:

Ice white number plate bulbs. Fitting my dipped beam and sidelights tonight!:

Last edited:
Washed and polished it last night :):
Shiny shiny!

I also fitted my ice white sidelights and dipped beams from Trups:

Had a drive about in the dark, and as expected the reach and brightness of the bulbs aren't the greatest but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make and have done in the past! They look great which more than makes up for it! Plus my full beams are normal bulbs so they light up the road when needed!

Last edited:
Making some great progress on this mate,that switch looks so much better.:salute:

Reactions: barkclark
Ordered my new towbar yesterday! Hopefully get that fitted next week! I also ordered a new genuine thermostat and CTS to try cure the low temp reading and the slightly lower mpg's!

I've also discovered that the drivers side front quarter panel has been badly resprayed :(, it's started bubbling along the arch!

These arrived today! :D
Can anyone point me in the right direction of the thermostat O-ring seal?