Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S4_dan

Thread: Rumbling noise from front when doing around 40 mph

Reverse Gear

Status

Rumbling noise from front when doing around 40 mph

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to this so go easy on me.
    I have a 1.8t avant s line and I have a Rumbling noise when doing around 40 mph after 45 the noise goes. could it be the tyres or maybe even a wheel bearing help much appreciated thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Hello with the sound of it its a bearing. Fack the car up and gige the wheel a wiggle is there is any play its the bearing. It could be a damaged arch liner maybe. Hope you get it sorted though
    A4 B6 1.9TDI Avant in Ming Blue. S Line Bumper and Door Blades, Cruise Control, RS4 Carbon Fiber dash inlays, Passat Projector fogs with 55w 8000k HID, Carbon Wrapped Grills, Cupra Splitter, BBS LM reps 19", Heko Deflectors, S Line Spoiler, All LED interior Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, 1.8t exhaust, HD Touch screen headunit GPS DTV IPOD CD DVD, Front Armest, Rear Cupholders, Focal Sub, Focal Amp, Hertz 4ch Amp, 2x Focal Access 165a1 Components.

3rd Gear

Status
    Wheel bearing is the most likely culprit.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

God Mode

Status
    Wheel bearing's messed on my front too, anyone know what kind of time frame they can last being dodgy as I do about 50 miles a day working Mon-Fri and my local garage can't get us in until two Saturdays away

Neutral

Status
    The bearing rumble noise can go on for a few weeks. It's only likely to get worse, so get it booked in.
    Is that with or without VAT?

2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant quattro sport (155k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (125k)
    1995 80 TDI SE Avant (175k) sold

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselJake View Post
    Wheel bearing's messed on my front too, anyone know what kind of time frame they can last being dodgy as I do about 50 miles a day working Mon-Fri and my local garage can't get us in until two Saturdays away
    How long is a piece of string?

I've had bearings that have rumbled for 1k miles before I got sick of the noise and replaced them.

I've also had a N/S/F bearing rumble for 32miles, then collapse whilst driving at 55mph on the A1! Pulled over, got out and the wheel was on fire! The grease had got that hot it had run everywhere and caught fire! Fire extinguisher out of the Luton van and put it out!

The O/S/F bearing on Christine has been rumbling since I got her in November. I got a new bearing just never had the time to remove the srtut and replace it. I need to really, but I don't do much mileage in it.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

God Mode

Status
    Thought a car setting fire would give more motivation to get it done in future haha got me worried now.

If anyone in or close to Birmingham can fit a bearing one evening or weekend drop me a pm.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    When it started rumbling on the van, we got about 25miles down the road then it stopped but a new sound started. It sounded like I'd hit a bird and it was stuck in the grille 'tweeting' away. I said to the lad in passenger seat "whats that tweeting?!" then bang, it just went......

So if the rumbling stops....stop the ruddy car! lol
    BakPak likes this.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.