Wheel spacers

Reaction score
I've fitted some 17'' alloys from an S3 which has completely transformed the handling. Chuffed to bits! However because of the different offset I need some 15mm or 20mm spacers. I've never bought any before so 2 questions please. I understand there are 2 types, some spacers bolt to the hub in which case you use the old wheel studs to bolt the wheel to the spacer. Other spacers have hollow guide sleeves so you obviously then need longer wheel studs to reach through to the hub.
Which type is considered better and where to buy them?

Thanks, Mark.

I think the bolt on type only start at 20mm mate, but if you do find some like that in 15mm make sure they're either made of billet steel, or have steel inserts in them so the threads don't strip.
Lots of tuners such as Awesome GTI etc sell spacers, but your best looking on eBay tbh

Tbf your best bet is to go for some hubcentric ones. There a better fita

Sound guys, bought a set of the 20mm bolt through type from Mitec in Tamworth. £42 delivered.

Excellent service from Mtec. Bought 2 sets of 20mm spacers and are a perfect fit.

When balancing the wheels would it be better to balance them as normal, or balance them with the spacer fitted between the wheel and the balancing machine.

Thanks, Mark.

also make sure the tyres are the right size and extra load due to the A4 spec- 235/45/17 XL

also make sure the tyres are the right size and extra load due to the A4 spec- 235/45/17 XL

Depending on the final ET with the spacers he might have to fit thinner tyres, but as said get XL whatever you get.

97 is the load rating of the tyre .

Tyre Load Rating | Blackcircles.com

A normal tyre will probably be a 94 a higher load rated tyre in the same size will be a 97 and these tend to have stiffer sidewalls to support the extra load. This is supposed to improve the handling slightly but will have a slight knock on effect on ride comfort.

The wheel will be balanced without the spacer.

97 is the load rating of the tyre .

Tyre Load Rating | Blackcircles.com

A normal tyre will probably be a 94 a higher load rated tyre in the same size will be a 97 and these tend to have stiffer sidewalls to support the extra load. This is supposed to improve the handling slightly but will have a slight knock on effect on ride comfort.

The wheel will be balanced without the spacer.

Thanks Karl solid advice as always dude.