how do you change the gear selector and linkage ?

i went out today see if i could get the offending object of i managed to do so was a bit fiddly but got her im going to write how i got it of just incase anyone has the same problem any way here it goes if you find hard to get into gears this may be your answer a worn gear linkage bush first of all i took the gear knob and gaiter of pulling on the inside slightly and you will feel it come away slowly then lift the gaiter above the knob you will see a silver band goes round the bottom of it i put a flat head screwdriver in there and pried it out then should lift of with a bit of force im sure there's a proper way to do it but this worked for me then pull the plastic surround bit up around the gear stick make sure no to pull to hard feels quite delicate then there should be two 8mm bolts that hold the ash tray in undo those pull towards you unclip the light at the bottom of it and should come out easy enough leaving you enough room to work lift the sound deading stuff out the way you should see two bolts think there 8 mm at the front of the gear stick and back undo those pull the plastic cover away from it and you should see the linkage and selector leave that for now jack the front up put on axle stands and insure car is safe to get underneath remove the under trays then behind the drive shafts look up you will see the linkage should have a red cover over it shake it about will be slack that's your problem making it hard to get into gears or find them there is a 10 mm nut undo that you may need someone else to hold the bolt from spinning when your undoing it the way i did this was underneath the bonnet remove the engine cover and the top boost pipe unclip it from the 90 degree elbow on the left side of the engine and unbolt it from the bracket on the right side move it out the way then shine a light down towards the gear box you will see the linkage ideally have some one to give you a hand while you are undoing the 10 mm nut underneath the linkage it will most likely be spinning so get you mate to hold the bolt from spinning by using some long nose pliers from inside the engine compartment when your undoing it he should see it spinning so get him to put the pliers in and hold it while you undo pretty fiddley but you will get it lol once you get the nut of pull down on the linkage and will pop of the ball joint then go inside the car look down at the selector you will see the linkage on its own pointing towards the front of the car put a mark with a pen or tip ex where the linkage is so when you put it back together it should be the same undo the allen key bolt fully then go back underneath the car pull the linkage should come out easy enough and there you go the part number is on the shaft but im sure you can just by the bush on its own saving you buying the whole shaft thats as far as i got today il phone audi tomorrow get a price for the bush and put it all back together and hopefully will feel like a new gear box im sure thats probably not the right way to do it lol but im a digger driver and not much mechanical experience and i managed easily enough hope this helps i let yous no how i get on putting it back together also will im underneath the car i would like to change the gearbox oil anyone now what the recommend oil is for a 2002 1.9tdi quattro gearbox

Last edited:
i went out today see if i could get the offending object of i managed to do so was a bit fiddly but got her im going to write how i got it of just incase anyone has the same problem any way here it goes if you find hard to get into gears this may be your answer a worn gear linkage bush first of all i took the gear knob and gaiter of pulling on the inside slightly and you will feel it come away slowly then lift the gaiter above the knob you will see a silver band goes round the bottom of it i put a flat head screwdriver in there and pried it out then should lift of with a bit of force im sure there's a proper way to do it but this worked for me then pull the plastic surround bit up around the gear stick make sure no to pull to hard feels quite delicate then there should be two 8mm bolts that hold the ash tray in undo those pull towards you unclip the light at the bottom of it and should come out easy enough leaving you enough room to work lift the sound deading stuff out the way you should see two bolts think there 8 mm at the front of the gear stick and back undo those pull the plastic cover away from it and you should see the linkage and selector leave that for now jack the front up put on axle stands and insure car is safe to get underneath remove the under trays then behind the drive shaft on the left hand side if your underneath the car look up you will see the linkage should have a red cover over it shake it about will be slack that's your problem making it hard to get into gears or find them there is a 10 mm nut undo that you may need someone else to hold the bolt from spinning when your undoing it the way i did this was underneath the bonnet remove the engine cover and the top boost pipe unclip it from the 90 degree elbow on the left side of the engine and unbolt it from the bracket on the right side move it out the way then shine a light down towards the gear box you will see the linkage ideally have some one to give you a hand while you are undoing the 10 mm nut underneath the linkage it will most likely be spinning so get you mate to hold the bolt from spinning by using some long nose pliers from inside the engine compartment when your undoing it he should see it spinning so get him to put the pliers in and hold it while you undo pretty fiddley but you will get it lol once you get the nut of pull down on the linkage and will pop of the ball joint then go inside the car look down at the selector you will see the linkage on its own pointing towards the front of the car put a mark with a pen or tip ex where the linkage is so when you put it back together it should be the same undo the allen key bolt fully then go back underneath the car pull the linkage should come out easy enough and there you go the part number is on the shaft but im sure you can just by the bush on its own saving you buying the whole shaft thats as far as i got today il phone audi tomorrow get a price for the bush and put it all back together and hopefully will feel like a new gear box im sure thats probably not the right way to do it lol but im a digger driver and not much mechanical experience and i managed easily enough hope this helps i let yous no how i get on putting it back together also will im underneath the car i would like to change the gearbox oil anyone now what the recommend oil is for a 2002 1.9tdi quattro gearbox