Swaying towards tiptronic idea

p1tse

Reaction score
So I'm after a s4 cab
At first wanted a manual for more engagement

But the thought of an auto box for ease seems appealing

Anyone wished they went for manual or auto etc,?

I've currently got a manual a4, however I've had an a3 s-tronic with the flappy paddles in the past and liked it. Must say that I do prefer the control you get with a manual.

Have the tiptronic boxes improved over the years? My old man has a 2000 S8 and the boxed failed at 36k! He had it removed and recon work done on it at a cost jusy shy of 2k. Been fine ever since and now only on 57k.

My old '97 A8 sport had 99k on it and the box used to slip under WOT. but ok when just tootling around.

Because of the above I'm sceptical about Audi's auto boxes. Unless they have improved vastly in reliability I wouldn't touch one. Manual all the way for me.

Reactions: deano1978
I've got an auto/tiptronic box in my A4 2.5 tdi and love it. It's currently done 138k and runs so smooth... I literally can't feel it change gear :) To be honest, when putting my foot down I always just knock it into sport rather than tip tronic. Having never owned an auto before, I'd deffo have another. I'm just wayyy to lazy!

I'm more and more swaying to it
Would mean it could be enjoyed by my wife more too

With a lot of the driving in town type driving it would be the comfortable option
What I miss with the manual is redline option as I think auto changes up early
I like to get in the right gear before a roundabout so slowing down, down shift, engine breaking or control from clutch would be missed as its not as natural in the auto I find having owned a dsg and auto.

I changed the coding on my old mans' S8. It's a much more sportier mode, holds revs for longer etc. There is a guide on Audiworld for it. Not sure if the A4 can be done but can't see why not? The S8/D2 is an older box.....

ive driven both the manual s4 and tiptronic
the tip is considerably smoother and better for round town driving

in all honesty the only way youll find out is to drive both of them and see which you prefer , thats exactly what i did and i ended with a tiptronic

its possible to do quite a lot to the gearboxes on both these cars
you can change 6th gear on the manual to give a more fuel efficient drive on the motorway
you can alter the settings in the tiptronic to give launch control

its also possible to alter the diff on both cars to give a 4 to 1 ratio instead of the standard 2 to 1