Remap and whistling turbo....

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm looking at a custom remap for the old girl. BUT. My turbo whistles. Although I recently stripped and cleaned the vanes it is still has no power/torque below 2k rpm, but is like a scalded after 2k rpm.

I've got a gutted pre-cat to go on and I will be gutting my main cats too before the remap.

Would changing the turbo for another alter the way it runs after a remap? It would be a similar turbo, just a later part number. Mine is 'F' and would be looking at fitting an 'S'

Does anyone know of a good trusted mapper in Yorkshire? preferably one who has a rolling road for before/after. My budget is £300 max as I need to reserve some cash for a replacement turbo.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:
If it's on it's way out I wouldn't even bother until you have replaced the turbo tbh.

As above sort out the issues before committing it to a dyno. If there's anything wrong with it then it's likely to go bang on the rollers.sounds like you have a boost leak or a problem with the VNT control mechanism, either N75 or vacuum pipes.
Any tuner worth his salt won't touch a car that has a problem as a map and a run on a rolling road could potentially kill it.

Karl.

I've been told its the bearings in the turbo that is causing the whistle. There is absolutely minimum play in the shaft, no smoke at all.

Vanes working fine as is the actuator. From reading a previous post on here someone with the same issue solved it by adjusting the actuator rod. Could be the same issue I have as I don't know if it's the original turbo or not, only that the P.O. stated it had always whistled since he bought it in 2006.

I wouldn't let someone remap her without giving her a health check first. At least if there was an underlying issue they would hopefully be able to pinpoint it.

N75 isn't throwing any fault codes, car ECU is clean on DTC's.

As for boost leak I have tried looking and everything seems legit. The whistling starts from 1200rpm when the turbo is spooling, it doesn't get any louder when more boost is applied. No apparent boost 'leak' noises can be heard other than the whistling. Although on an old Saab 900 turbo we had it did this, replacing the turbo solved the whistling but again there was no play in the shaft of that unit either.

Dan