• 1 Post By S4_dan
  • 1 Post By S4_dan

Thread: Thats one way to stop warning lights

Reverse Gear

Status

Thats one way to stop warning lights

552.jpg

Hi I'm a newbie to the A4 B6 Cabrio.
    Just purchased my first a 2003 2.4 v6 with a declared fault with the roof and a non functioning central display in the dash cluster.
    Having fixed the roof after discovering various disconnected micro switches and bodges I moved on to fixing the display.
    I used the guide here to replace the central led unit which now works a treat I discovered that the roof warning and ABS warning lights had both been filled with black silicone. Thats one way to stop the lights but why not fix the fault ?

Have all these cars been tampered with or am I just unlucky ? The car came with a full audi service history and one owner from new but someone who hasn't a clue has been playing with this car.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Last guy i know who did this wasnt so lucky. he screwed his rev counter up and damaged the pcb trying to cover the engine management light on a late a3 !
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

YSN
    Neutral

Status
    When buying a car you should remember that when you turn the ignition on all of the lights should come on and then go off so if one is not there you should ask questions.

3rd Gear

Status
    Makes you wonder what else you will find. Codges like this seem to be more common these days especially as a lot of the time you can get warning lights with no apparent problem with the car. Also cars can fail an MOT because of any warning lights that are on the dash.

Karl.

5th Gear

Status
    What a bodge. Cant stand stuff like this.
    Will more than likely be a £10 sensor causing the light too.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I scanned the car for faults before buying so was aware of the current issues. Just amazed that someone would go to all that trouble rather than fixing the problem

1st Gear

Status
    Most tedious matey, my previous car an E60 535d had been neglected for it's last year of ownership, which in turn meant I had a backlog of things to discover and make right. Although it shouldn't it put me off of the car, and bought me back to the VAG

1st Gear

Status
    Just checked mine today and when you turn the keys in the ignition the lights light up but no EML!

3rd Gear

Status
    I would get the car scanned for faults, sounds like something is probably hiding.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I will do. How easy do the dials come out is there a how to?

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismawa View Post
    Yeah I will do. How easy do the dials come out is there a how to?
    Very easy! lift small piece of trim above steering column, remove two torx screws and then gently pull dash up until you can reach round and undo the connectors, one on each side at rear. Lower steering wheel and pull out to full rake to give more room to remove the cluster.

Have a look here: DIS LCD Replacement - guide

Dan
    Chrismawa likes this.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

Neutral

Status
    Whenever I purchase a new car, I take a cheap obd scanner with me just incase the lights are 'missing'. Last excuse I had was 'the engine light may have not been a optional extra' when it was missing LOL

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4_dan View Post
    Very easy! lift small piece of trim above steering column, remove two torx screws and then gently pull dash up until you can reach round and undo the connectors, one on each side at rear. Lower steering wheel and pull out to full rake to give more room to remove the cluster.

Have a look here: DIS LCD Replacement - guide

Dan
    Cheers mate. Going to scan it first with VCDS when (or IF) I get it working lol. Then I'll take out the dials and check the light.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismawa View Post
    Cheers mate. Going to scan it first with VCDS when (or IF) I get it working lol. Then I'll take out the dials and check the light.
    If you can't get it working and your visiting near Thirsk/York (A19/A168/A1) in the near future, let me know and I'll meet you and scan it for you.

Dan
    Chrismawa likes this.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.