New rear springs for 1.9TDI

WeeHector

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just been told I need two lower straight front arms and a new rear spring, so had a look on ECP site and they have Sachs springs for £39 each, are these any good? I'm sure I read somewhere that they are OEM springs but I could be mistaken.

Sachs springs are a well known brand and should be fine, I'm guessing part of a coil has snapped off warranting the need for a new one?
Like Mike says, it's recommended to replace these in pairs as the old one will most probably be different in manufacturer as well as age, wear and material.

One other option, if just half a coil has snapped off is you could cut the same off of the other side... Probably not the first option though!

One other option, if just half a coil has snapped off is you could cut the same off of the other side... Probably not the first option though!

Not something I'd be recommending. :no:

if the spring has sheared (usually breaks at the ends dropping an inch or so off the right height), then the part is already terminal. The spring is probably fatigued, will be covered in surface rust and generally in poor condition. Replace in pairs, end of.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ha the Eibachs are tempting but, as usual, car parts always seem to break when money is tight. The place I usually use said the arm bushes were knackered and the spring was broken, but they only fit OEM parts and wanted nearly £600 to supply and fit both arms and both springs which I just can't afford at the minute, so I figured I'd buy decent ones myself and get someone else to fit them.

I got Lemforder (who supply Audi) ones from ECP for half the price Audi wanted for the lower arms.

Yeah I looked for Lemforder parts but, typically, the arm I need is the only one they don't list in that brand