Rear lights keep blowing!!!

simers

Reaction score
Any one else have the same problem?? All bulbs that have been replaced have been manufacturers specification.. No fancy LEDs or anything in her.. Keep blowing brake lights and park lights in the rear.. How do you solve the issue?? Absolutely sick of the car now...

I had this, turns out it was just bad bulbs. It happened with halfords bulbs but I then got one from the local motor factors and touch wood not had a problem since.

Had it on mine and fairly sure the clusters were letting in water or something judging by there age, bodged repairs and the amount of mist that would come. Replaced with LED rear lights, not to everyones taste but they've held up for over a year now with absolutely no issues so Jake is a happy bunny.

Edit: Oh wait you said you don't want LED rear lights haha... hmm, could just replace with new, or fit LED bulbs with resistors to see if they last any longer (I know you said no LED's, just want you to give into peer pressure :gun2:).

Last edited:
I'd have no problem putting in LEDs jake... The bulbs I'm using at the minute are Lucas which I've always used on every car I've had but they keep blowing in this pile of crap... I've never given up on a car but this one is getting the better of me lately

Definitely sounds like housing, could try various makes to be sure. Had several variations on my old housing which resulted in the same unfortunate outcome.

Cheers mate... May wait til tomorrow when Autofactors open again..

Just an update... Replaced every rear bulb with Lucas ones and so far so good but then again I did only do it a few hours ago :lol: will see wat happens next

Lucas is a very good brand for quality bulbs.

Any one else have the same problem?? All bulbs that have been replaced have been manufacturers specification.. No fancy LEDs or anything in her.. Keep blowing brake lights and park lights in the rear.. How do you solve the issue?? Absolutely sick of the car now...

Clean all the connections carefully, a bad earth connection will cause bulbs to blow.

What about the voltage output? I read somewhere that you can change the brightness of the rear bulbs using VCDS so what if your brightness is set higher than usual?

I'm waiting on the car to be plugged in still...