Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

Stripping a turbo

Hi people.

The turbo on my A4 whistles a fair bit and the boost is all or nothing, starts to kick in at 1800rpm and it out of puff by 2500rpm.
    I've tried the Mr Muscle trick but still the same. So tomorrow I'm hopefully going to remove my turbo. I've never opened a turbo up before but I'm mechanically minded and have rebuilt numerous engines over the years.

If I remove the casing as per this site: VNT15-Turbo Do I need the turbo 'balancing' again or is that only if I mess about with the cartridge? I'm aiming to clean up thoroughly the vanes and check that the rod etc is all working. Otherwise it's a replacement turbo, likely from Adamss24 as he has one spare.

But if I can salvage mine then that would make it a bit easier on my wallet! If not, then I've lost nothing but gained some parts to help towards a hybrid :-)

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    As long as you don't touch the nuts on the end of the compressor and turbine wheels then you won't have an issue.
    Once the turbo is off it's not that hard to get apart after you have got the bolts undone. Might need a bit of a tap to split the case off just don't get carried away.
    I took my VNT17 off my previous Passat and did a how to if it's any use.

UKpassats.co.uk • Login

Karl.
    Karls 312bhp A4 3.0 TDI build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ld-thread.html

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Cheers Karl, that's a piece of mind at ease now. Will hopefully be cracking on today. Have to go to the scrap yard at 9am to get some bits for my nephews' Corsa but then home and start on the Audi.

Cheers.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have you checked all of your hoses and intercoolers for leaks if your hearing your turbo whistle?

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Yeah all seems legit. It sounds just like it did on my old man's Saab 900 turbo when his turbo used to whistle, he had the turbo recon'd and it was quiet after that.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    And i'm worried that I can't hear my turbo. But Adamss24 has waved a magic wand over it and now it's 90% all good.
    I have stripped my turbo in the passed and it is an easy job IF all the bolts undo without snapping.
    At least you will know the condition of the internals of the turbo if you do strip it down, and then if you need to replace it you will know you needed to.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Thats the plan. Didn't get time today though sadly. Spent much longer than anticipated at scrap yard then when we got back my wife had cooked a roast dinner for us all. Me being me consumed a bottle red alone so that rendered me unfit to remove the turbo! lol

Two weeks is next chance I get.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro