2.5tdi quattro auto owners - advice needed please

quattrodave

Reaction score
Only had the car about a week now, '53 plate avant on 170k miles and loving it so far !
Not having driven the tip auto before I'm just wondering if the box is natuarly quite lazy ?
When pulling away from a standstill slowly the revs rise to 2000rpm ish and the car gathers momentum but it doesn't seem in a rush to change up the 'box, it almost sound like you're driving a manual and slipping the clutch all the time. All the gears engage fine up and down and the tip works fine as well. If you pull away quickly it surges forward and changes quite nicely - rather difficult around the town though !
Am I being paranoid or is this just a characteristic of the 'box ?
Thanks

That sounds like mine.When I switched from a manual I found it revved much higher cos the 2.5tdi manual lets you change up at low revs and then stay in higher gear as speed drops due to the torque but the auto wont allow this.Much more used to this after over a year now and the acceleration is there if you need it and can accept the mpg pain.I would go back to the manual if did more long trips but the auto is better for town traffic and the missus loves it

Thanks mike b, I wondered if it was just me after coming from a mk5 golf gti that was so immediate. I guess I'll have to adjust my driving style, loving it so far though. Hope I'm not hit too hard at the pump with all this town driving !
Out of interest, have you changed your 'box oil and is it on the service schedule ?
Thanks

Yes its a loss to see the mpg drop but has to be if you go auto.Mine has a tuning box which perhaps helps abit.I also use V power cos it impressed me in a petrol but it still goes down in the low 20s urban.As soon as it gets a run it improves 100% and is as good as the manual.I wouldn't change anything although my ATF has been done cos as some say you cant expect it last forever.Thats not on Audi schedule so they invoiced as a Multitronic.A belated welcome and there are many fans of the 2.5tdi here including a real expert Adamms24 whose worked on mine

That's great info, thanks mike. Loving the car though, that engine is superb, bags of torque with a great soundtrack. Hardly had the radio on since I got it !
So glad I got that over the 1.9, just hope I don't have the common issues people talk about. Its got the later bau engine so I'm hopefull!

Last edited:
If you want to sound different try a cone air filter.My son used to own mine and now has an S3 with heavy mods and fitted a spare filter which seems to have done no harm and gives it its own noise which took a while to get used to.I have always liked 6s since Triumph days