tailgate water ingress

pumpaction

Reaction score
hello all,
have just raised the tailgate to load stuff and a substantial amount of h2o poured out of the joins on the interior of the tailgate.i have just looked up how to remove the trim but thought i would ask if this is a common problem and where might this be coming in,before i start a major disassembly of the rear.
any help appreciated.my car is an a4 avant b6.
thanks.

Is it rain water?

The screenwash pipe often splits in the tailgate compartment, either by the motor or at the hinge point.

thanks.....i have just checked the rear screenwash and its not working as it should so youve given me a likely culprit.
will report back when i do the job,although it might be a couple of days as its pppppissing down in cornwall.
cheers

Pop the jet assembly out of the rear and see if you have a decent flow thro the spindle - the jets clog - - -

The motor is known for failing internally as the spindle pipe can break and/or the seal where the spindle rotates can fail. Very, very poor design.

For me it was water getting in via the high-level bootlid light.

Popped the light out and applied a bead of black sealant, pushed the light back in. Did this 6 months ago, seems to have stopped the water ingress.

update.......finally managed to remove the trim,(a **** of a job) and the pipework to the washer looks intact and the pump is making suitable noises but no water coming out or leaking into the tailgate itself but no flow out of the jets either, how do i remove the jets to clean them(have tried poking a needle in).also will now have to look for another source of leak such as the hi level b/light.

The nozzles just pop off with a flat bladed screwdriver.Best way to clean them is with a can of air blaster.If theres still no jet with the nozzles off you have a serious leak back in the line and you should be able to hear where

Hi had same fault with my a6 avant 2006 audi did an upgrade on the rear pipe f/o/c as a recall so mut be a design fault
but also took rear lights out cleaned seals no more leaks touch wood

update.....all done hopefully.getting the liner back on was a pig to do singlehanded but got there in the end.took off and cleaned the washer nozzles and all is now working,also put a line of sealant along the upper brake light housing so no chance of water getting in there.many thanks for your tips guys...much appreciated.