Milltek Exhaust!

Welshquattro

Reaction score
Just had a milltek cat back exhaust fitted to my A4 and it don't fit right! Has anybody else had trouble with fitting a milltek exhaust? The garage that fitted it said it's badly made and it's not the first one they have seen that don't fit. Any advice would be good. Thanks

Last edited:
I've been out of the modding scene for a number of years but remember reading similar issues back then

Where did you buy from?
Is it the correct version required?
Why does it not fit, alignment not straight, hangers etc.?

Expensive items for poor quality IMO

It came from demon tweeks and the part list that came with it was for right version but invoice has a mixture of 163/190bhp parts as I guess they are the same. The back back boxes sit to low and are twisted, also tailpipes are not in cut outs in bumper and about three inches too low. The system bangs the car under front seats and also at the back. The garage said they think it's the piece from down pipe to where system splits in two is badly made and is causing all the problems. They had three different mechanics look at it and still can't get it to sit right.

Can't you take it to a Demon Tweaks dealer and get them to have a look at it? Surely at those prices the exhaust system should sit nice and not catch anywhere?!

I would have taken the car to a good exhaust fabricator that know what it's doing and have a custom system made... As above, quality on Milltek exhausts is rubbish and they are still using MIG welds when every other competitor uses TIG welds- much neater ! Also seen many rusty exhausts so their stainless steel is not best quality !

How much was that?

Got to agree doesn't look right at all

Reactions: Welshquattro
When I had my first ever milltek fitted it looked like that
Then I found a very good shop and never had a problem on any others that iv bought.

It cost £720 so would have thought it would fit. I took it to a friend last night who's fitted lots of exhausts in his time to see if he could get it to fit. Well we matched it up against the old one and you could see it was out quite away in a few places. After three hours of heating and bending we got it to fit right,tailpipes sit right and no banging. He did say it was very badly made. Well it's on now and the good thing about it is it sounds great when you put ur foot down!

that looks like it isn't fitted correctly to be honest

mine wasn't 100% but i got a little OCD with the measurements how the tips sat in the cut outs, it had to be precise (was around 5-10mm off)

i fitted mine myself and took an hour or so to get it sat 100% but has been perfect ever since and i drive very low and quite hard at times.

I've had miltek on many cars and never had issues with fit or build quality.the pic obviously shows its not right so did they drop the whole system back down then check each section ?

I have bought a few Milltek systems in the past - I have to agree with the comments about quality.

I had a full system on my Fiesta Zetec S which included a 4-2-1 manifold - I had that for 3 years with no real issues, however the stainless was starting to give up and start rusting.

The second system I had for 3 years on an Ibiza Cupra 1.8T - the weld on the pipe failed causing the pipe to fall into the center silencer. Milltek's response was that the welds weren't stainless, and not covered by the warranty! so ended up having to buy a new center section.

On my current 2.5TDi I used a local exhaust fabricator - what can I say, the quality is much better than Milltek - and its obvious.
Over a year later and it still looks new - perfect fit, no rattles. Cost much less than a Milltek too!

I was going to go with Miltek but in the end went with Blueflame.
They only make custom exhaust and I was well chuffed with the result sand the price was excellent.
When the technician was making/fitting my exhaust I mentioned that I was thinking about Miltek and he said that they used to be excellent but over recent years have had all the components manufactured in China and the quality was terrible(then again he would say that!).
Glad you got it sorted thou m8, nothing worse than getting excited about a new toy and being disappointment.

The first place(Volvo main dealers as I get big discount)took it of twice to check it but could not get it to fit ,so they got the Subaru dealer across the road to have a go as they sell aftermarket exhausts and they couldn't get it to fit. They said it was badly made in a few places but the piece at the front that joins the downpipe and splits in two is the main problem as it makes the system go to the passenger side. Also all the mounts are to big for the rubber mounts so the whole system can move about a inch. Can't send it back as it's my daily drive and old system is in bits.

Is the Milltek not recommended? I had one on my old Ford focus which fitted alright and sounded good too. I was thinking of going to demon tweeks and ordering the non res but thought I'd search on the forum. I've got a quote from a local longlife custom exhaust dealer at £480 so about £70 cheaper than milltek. A bit undecided at the moment

Milltek used to be the dogs ****** of exhausts. Not anymore. BCS would be my choice personally. Glad you got it sorted though.

Agreed I had full systems on not one but two golf mk iv tdis and I fitted them myself and the fit was good!
On my A4 I've settled for just removing the filter and centre sections by a custom exhaust fitter, much cheaper and exactly what I was after.
I'm moderatlely concerned about the new MoT laws as of December last year, we will see if I can get a pass later this year.

Glad you got it sorted but I would have taken it back
Not right to spend hours getting it to fit right

Thanks. I would have but couldn't be without the car as use it ever day. For all the trouble with fitting its does sounds great.