Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

Status

Water in Boot - Any Ideas?

I've noticed water collecting in the spare wheel well of my 2004 S4 Avant over the last few months, causing heaving condensation, so I've been trying to work out where it's coming from. I've ruled out the washer system: I didn't use the rear washer for over a week and inside the tailgate trim is dry (where the pump is as well as the upper tailgate section) but the water still accumulated.

I pulled all the trim out of the floor and it looked like water was getting past the rubber seal on the bottom left-hand side (red ring in photo) and I could see the path of travel along the body (1), under the main floor plastic, soaking the felt triangle underneath* (2), down the body into the well (3) and collecting at the bottom (the 3 pads are also soaking*).

*Soaking fabric could have been condensation rather than water passing through it directly.

I bought a new boot seal from Audi for about £60 but that hasn't fixed it (although the seal must be better as the tailgate needs a little extra force to close now). Looking at today's photo the evidence of ingress in the red ring is still present too.

IMAG0290.jpg

I've uploaded a few more photos taken today of the tailgate area. I was hoping someone could let me know if there's any trim/sealing parts missing. Most the wet parts of the tailgate area are just where I opened it at lunchtime after this morning's rain but you can see water on the trim of the tailgate where it seems to be coming in.

IMAG0291.jpg IMAG0292.jpg IMAG0293.jpg IMAG0294.jpg IMAG0295.jpg IMAG0296.jpg IMAG0297.jpg
    Audi S4 Avant (B6, 2004) in Goodwood Green.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I would say the rubber seal has become flat over time and does not sit tight to the tailgate.....experiencing a similar problem on the wife's mk5 golf and had the same prob on my old Lupo GTI.
    Mike

B6 A4 1.9 TDI Sport 130 - GMBH/S-Line kit - Akoya Silver
    - BUILD THREAD >>

Status
    Well that's the thing - I replaced the seal and the fit is now tighter but it's still leaking.

1st Gear

Status
    I reckon it is a split in the hose from the washer bottle to the rear scoosh. I'm sure that hose runs behind the plastic hinge cover in pic 4 the one with the arrow shaped hole in it and can split because it's a movement point.

Status
    I'll have a look. Thanks.

1st Gear

Status
    I'd suggest thinking outside the box a little on this - is there any evidence of water in the actual hatch itself? I had a similar problem which turned out to be the seal around the high level brake light allowing water into the hatch. This then drained through the bungs at the bottom of the door, leaving a witness mark just like yours. You could actually hear the water running around inside after the car had been washed. Sealed the light - problem fixed.

As has also been suggested, the water pipe can be another culprit - or the pipe which runs thro the rear wipe motor. Getting the cover off is a bar-steward of a job, but can be done - see avant bootlid plastics removal info req! for advice on this especially lovely job!

Mike.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks mike b. will check that as well...cheers

5th Gear

Status
    check the rear wash wiper isnt leaking into the boot
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

2nd Gear

Status
    Rear light seals fail and fill the boot. I've just had mine done cos of this problem. Bone dry now :-D