Water in Boot - Any Ideas?

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I've noticed water collecting in the spare wheel well of my 2004 S4 Avant over the last few months, causing heaving condensation, so I've been trying to work out where it's coming from. I've ruled out the washer system: I didn't use the rear washer for over a week and inside the tailgate trim is dry (where the pump is as well as the upper tailgate section) but the water still accumulated.

I pulled all the trim out of the floor and it looked like water was getting past the rubber seal on the bottom left-hand side (red ring in photo) and I could see the path of travel along the body (1), under the main floor plastic, soaking the felt triangle underneath* (2), down the body into the well (3) and collecting at the bottom (the 3 pads are also soaking*).

*Soaking fabric could have been condensation rather than water passing through it directly.

I bought a new boot seal from Audi for about £60 but that hasn't fixed it (although the seal must be better as the tailgate needs a little extra force to close now). Looking at today's photo the evidence of ingress in the red ring is still present too.

IMAG0290

I've uploaded a few more photos taken today of the tailgate area. I was hoping someone could let me know if there's any trim/sealing parts missing. Most the wet parts of the tailgate area are just where I opened it at lunchtime after this morning's rain but you can see water on the trim of the tailgate where it seems to be coming in.

IMAG0291 IMAG0292 IMAG0293 IMAG0294 IMAG0295 IMAG0296 IMAG0297

I would say the rubber seal has become flat over time and does not sit tight to the tailgate.....experiencing a similar problem on the wife's mk5 golf and had the same prob on my old Lupo GTI.

Well that's the thing - I replaced the seal and the fit is now tighter but it's still leaking.

I reckon it is a split in the hose from the washer bottle to the rear scoosh. I'm sure that hose runs behind the plastic hinge cover in pic 4 the one with the arrow shaped hole in it and can split because it's a movement point.

I'd suggest thinking outside the box a little on this - is there any evidence of water in the actual hatch itself? I had a similar problem which turned out to be the seal around the high level brake light allowing water into the hatch. This then drained through the bungs at the bottom of the door, leaving a witness mark just like yours. You could actually hear the water running around inside after the car had been washed. Sealed the light - problem fixed.

As has also been suggested, the water pipe can be another culprit - or the pipe which runs thro the rear wipe motor. Getting the cover off is a bar-steward of a job, but can be done - see http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...-avant-bootlid-plastics-removal-info-req.html for advice on this especially lovely job!

Mike.

Rear light seals fail and fill the boot. I've just had mine done cos of this problem. Bone dry now :-D