Serpentine Belt Help Please!

StevenA4

Reaction score
Hi everyone, brand new member here hoping for advice. 2003 A4 Quattro 3.0 V6 6-speed.

In short, the belt continues to come off and I can't figure out why.

A few days ago the serpentine belt (drive belt, power-v belt...) slipped off the pulleys while my wife was driving. I got a new belt (Dayco) and installed it. Started the car, and the new belt slipped off. So then I bought a new tensioner assembly from Audi, and installed that (which was quite a chore, involving removal of front bumper, repositioning of radiator panel, etc.). After all that, the belt still came off after I revved the engine (although it stayed in place at idle).

I would much appreciate any ideas as to what I should investigate next. Thanks.

-Steven

Update: I put the old belt back on, just to see what would happen. It ran, but sounded awful. Sprayed a little dressing on there and it, too, popped off. Hoping someone can help me out.

The only one I can think of is the power steering pump pulley, which looks like it may have a slight wobble, but if so then not much. I would be surprised if that's enough to make the belt pop off the rollers, but if I'm wrong, tell me.

Does the car have air conditioning?
If so, check that the pump has not seized up. I've seen this problem throw belts off before.

Yes, the car has A/C. All of the pulleys spin by hand, but they all have some level of resistance. That seems logical to me, but maybe it's not right. I mean, should these things spin like the wheel on a bicycle? Or is it normal for the pulley, given a little push, to turn for two or three revolutions and stop?

Right now I'm looking at either replacing pulleys at random, or taking the car to a shop (which I'd rather not do).

Again, thanks.

The only one I can think of is the power steering pump pulley, which looks like it may have a slight wobble, but if so then not much. I would be surprised if that's enough to make the belt pop off the rollers, but if I'm wrong, tell me.

What do you mean by wobble? Is it tilting forward?

None of the pulley should have play nor should they be tilting forward.

Check if your alternator pulley is ok. This video may help

@SL: The PS pump pulley might be tilted forward-- though it's a little hard for me to tell. I pulled the pulley itself off, cleaned the grooves, and reinstalled. Didn't mess with the pump. Same deal. What would cause it to tilt? Would the whole pump assembly have somehow gone askew?

@Wolf: at first install, the belt stayed on fine at idle (so I put the whole front end back together), then slipped off at higher rpm. The last time I installed the belt, it slipped off right away.

Thanks again.

Found it: P/S pump bracket is cracked. $160 from Audi for the bracket--so I'm looking to source a used or cheaper one. Will report back.