Passenger Airbag Switch - retrofit?

SimonP

Reaction score
Anyone know whether the passenger airbag deactivation switch can be retro-fitted on a 54 plate B6? Is the lead from the airbag kicking around behind the glovebox somewhere and you just fit the switch or is it a major job?

Even if you get it professionally fitted you'll invalidate your personal injury cover on your car insurance. Audi won't touch it either.

Some dealers will and some won't. Can cost the best part of £500 all up incl the airbag deact light in the centre console (or on the roof by the interior lights).

To be honest, I have 2 kids and ISOFIX on both cars but never needed to deactivate the airbag. I think the back is safer and less distracting.

I have the deactivating switch in my glove box already. . . . . . .Isn't this standard then??? Surely a new Audi should have this as standard???

Easy to fit and takes about 3 hours to fit. On a 54 plate B6 you will need,glovebox loom about £20, Key switch anb barrel about £39 and few other bits and bobs. More expensive to retro fit than order from factory though.
HTH

Thanks for all your advice... I think nipper can go in the back all said and done, sounds safest on several levels!

Here's an interesting fact..

Audi can't retrofit or disable the passenger airbag on any A4s fitted with the V8.. ie the S4 range.

Can't disable it, and can't fit the switch either... despite what the handbook says....

Taff

:keule:

I've resurrected this thread as I really need to get the nipper in the front seat at the same time as carrying something in the rear with the rear seats folded. I would use my S3 in the same role instead of the A4, but the seats are too bucketed to take a full size kiddy seat (rock-a-tot size was fine).

From the answers above it sounds like it is possible, but the dealers will either take me to the cleaners on cost or simply not do it - I'd prefer a professional fitment from the dealer as I don't want the fireworks going off inside the car.

The insurance aspect worries me though, it seems odd that they'd disallow it even if it had been fitted by Audi themselves?

Audi must have saved all of £2 by not including it as standard...

Any more feedback would be most welcome.

We have just had the same problem with our Mini, the dealer wanted £700 to install a front airbag switch. We ended up selling the mini and bought a 5 Door BMW 1 series and had the switch fitted by the dealer for £250..

We had it done on my wife's A4; cost about £500 IIRC and was done by York Audi. It is a B6 model and she had it done when our son was in his rear-facing car seat.

I have an Audi 2.0 TDI A4 B7 S-line with no switch but the airbag light is on and saying the passenger side airbag is switched off? do I need to install one or can this be removed via vagcom. I have cleared all faults but this wont go away? I had a garage try and reset the faults to no avail, the problem is this is the model without the switch Audi 2.0 TDI A4 B7 S-line 2007. They advised trying the aftermarket retro fit switch. I have no idea what part number this would be or where to wire it. There is a previous owners cd changer installed in the glove box, I suspect the airbag light has been on since this was fitted. I have added a few images, grateful for your help.

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg
IMAG0509.jpg
IMAG0510.jpg
IMAG0511.jpg
IMAG0512.jpg
IMAG0513.jpg
IMAG0514.jpg
IMAG0515.jpg
IMAG0516.jpg

Last edited: