Suspension upgrade

sinbadfury

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What would be a modest suspension upgrade for my 2002 tdi 130 a4.

I am not really looking to substantially lower it or anything, maybe just increase the quality of stock parts....I will be upgrading alloys and was thinking of doing the whole thing in one go...

Cheers!

I fitted H&R lowering springs to mine with Koni adjustable shocks, I ran them with 18" RS4's. The car was originally non sport set up, so the difference was amazing, the car looked great and the ride was 100% better, little or no body roll. I have them for sale if you are interested as I see you are from Ireland. They have only done 6-7000 miles a piece.

Would stock suspension bushings deteriorate over a couple of years (TDi Sport 2002) and result in the suspension feeling loose and rattly?

[ QUOTE ]
Would stock suspension bushings deteriorate over a couple of years (TDi Sport 2002) and result in the suspension feeling loose and rattly?

[/ QUOTE ]

They shouldn't really, how many miles has it done and what sort of roads do you drive on?

I've just fitted an RS4 22mm rear anti roll bar to my S-Line. I did it Saturday and it hasn't stopped raining since!! I had about 30 mins dry driving on Sat' afternoon and it seems to have improved steering feel and made the front 'bite' more. I'll do a full write up when I've had a few more miles with it.

I've got the S-Line 18mm one if you're interested.........? It should give better steering feel to your car. I take it it is a SE model and not a sport? The SE's have a 16mm rear anti roll bar.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have only had it since August last year so dont know much about previous roads but as you might know the raods in Ireland are shocking apart from motorways. There is 50k on the clock

Anyway it is a sport model, and maybe this is an issue as I dont like braking too much and like to keep smooth speed around bends, so it could be just a 'too aggressive' style for the car?

Help is appreciated...cheers

[ QUOTE ]
as you might know the raods in Ireland are shocking apart from motorways

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking it, but didn't want to appear rude!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TBH my S-Line dosen't like bad roads but I'm happy with the handling for 1580kg car!!

Hi Sinbad,

I've owned my 2001 A4 for a couple of years now, I have clocked up to 53k, this has been done mostly on motorways but its had its fair share of speed humps, B-roads and pot holes etc, I even took it Germany last weekend and the german roads seem harsher than ours as a lot of the older roads are made from concrete with 4" gaps every ten metres or so.

I dont really have any rattles with the suspension and have never had to have any bushes changed yet but I do feel there's an issue with the handling with the A4 which is easily corrected by changing the rear anti-roll bar (as Bub has done, and me soon)

Mines a sport with 18" alloys

Nice one Mike.

I've still not had a chance to have a 'proper' drive but here are the part numbers for the B7 RS4 rear anti roll bar..................

RS4 'DRC' 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar -- 8E0511409AM
Bushes -------------------------------------- 8E0511327B (X2)
Bolts for Brackets ------------------------- N10127706 (X4)
Bolts for ARB links ------------------------ N10528101 (X2)

About £100 odd all in + labour - It's a 30 min job even for a novice.

Full report to follow.

Cheers lads...

The rear anti-roll bar sounds like a plan to me...I might aim to get it done before the summer kicks in..