Engine noise - ???

sinbadfury

Reaction score
1.9Tdi 130 - I can hear the engine, thats fine but there seems to be another grinding/rattling noise over the engine hum. Very noticable in traffic and at idle.

Also the steering makes a grindng noise sometime on full lock and while reversing. I wonder if it is all related?

Any ideas, I recently paid 560 euro for a service and they said that there was nothing wrong! Didnt want the hassle I think...or else they remove your ears in Audi Dealers when you start as a mechanic....I aint bringing it back to them...rip-off adnd no service...

Again any help would be appreciated

Seems to be getting worse...louder..especially at idle and pulling off....there is also a kind of whistle/whirring sound that was there previoulsly but now seems more prominent too...could there be a problem with the turbo?

I had the same problem with my 2001 B6 1.8T, the steering rack used to grind and creek whenever I was turning slowly then after about 4 months of this I was coming off the M50 when I lost the use of power steering, it was like driving a tank so I continued over to the dealer and left the car with them. First off they said that a rubber seal had failed and the oil leaked out of the rack so they replaced the seal and filled it with oil. They brought me for a test drive to prove it was o.k. on the test the seal went again this time all the oil pi$$ed out onto the road. After allot of arguments and solicitors letters the dealer agreed to cover 50% of the costs and Audi Ireland covered the remainder as the warranty was up by a month and I had pointed the noise out a number of times under warranty. I have since learned that there was allot of problems with the original B6 steering racks. Where abouts in Ireland are you as I can reccomend a good mechanic outside Dublin that uses all genuine parts but doesn't charge dealer rates.

I live in Dublin15 at the moment, but make regular trips to the south east.

Any details of good non-dealer mechanic would be greatly appreciated. I dont mind a bit of travel to get to them if they are worth it.

Cheers for the reply!