Sky InsuranceBadger5
    5th Gear

Status

headlight keep fogging up

had a bit of trouble with my headlights fogging up so took them out the other day and sealed them up left them in the house over night them put them back in today only to find out there still fogging up ... should i have left them out side with out a cover on the back to get the warm air out of them first ???? any ideas ????????????

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Hi there I took one of my covers of the back of my headlights and that has solved the problem I think it's just the time of year

2nd Gear

Status
    Quite normal don't worry

5th Gear

Status
    Think I might of found the problem ... Where the power plug plugs in the gasket is rotten so sealed it up are try tomorrow

4th set of a wheels in a year

Status

My Social Networking

Visit krisavant's Instagram Channel
    Unless inside the headlight is 100% dry before sealing its gonna keep getting misted up.
    Needs to be aired to dry out.

6th Gear

Status
    They are all vented headlights so moisture is always going to get in......but some are less effected by others and can only put it down to engine temperatures and locations. When the engine is hot the air heats up and expands inside the headlight and as it cools the air contracts pulling in colder moist air creating the fogging and over time collects water that can't escape.

Some remove the back cover to fully vent them or some like me silicone seal the vents to seal the units and it works very well and gets less and less over time, but still have a little moisture in mine still even after using a hair dryer in them, but still mist up a lot less now.
    Mike

B6 A4 1.9 TDI Sport 130 - GMBH/S-Line kit - Akoya Silver
    - BUILD THREAD >>

Neutral

Status
    Take covers off works a treat I've got another car which is a show car and it's been brill all year till it got to November then one light started to mist took cover of that and it sorted that one too I had a rx8 and the back light misted on that but I drilled holes in the back of that and siliconed it and that worked I seem to get something misted on every car I've brought lol

1st Gear

Status
    Took my left one out because it keeps fogging at the side, and tried to spray soap water on top of it, and blew air inside through the upper backside vent-hole... And two small cracks appeared on top of the back cover / ballast...

Is it really possible that those two small cracks are the reason that it keeps fogging??

Wonder why the cracks are there as the back cover is quite new..

I'm gonna use some silicone on them and see if it helps..
    Already done the O-ring fix + silicone on the surroundings and silicone along OEM sealing

5th Gear

Status
    Didn't realise you could do the "o" ring fix on uk spec lights, i saw this mod on Audizine but us spec lights are different, any pics on how it's done on a uk light would be good.
    A4 AVANT 1.9TDI 130 SPORT:
    18" RS6'S//TWIN EXHAUST//ALLARD EGR DELETE//AERO WIPERS//B7 KEYS & ENGINE COVERS//BLACK OPTICS //FRONT & REAR S-LINE BUMPERS//TAILGATE SPOILER//S4 HEADLIGHTS,GRILLS & DOOR BLADES//RS4 RARB & PEDALS//FRONT,REAR & FOOTWELL AMBIENT LIGHTING//PUDDLE LIGHTS//FAN JETS//MEDIA SYSTEM//T.V//7" HEADREST MONITORS//REAR BLINDS//REVERSE CAMERA// CRUISE & DIS

1st Gear

Status
    Mine are the S4 headlights.. Shouldnt they be the same? Same housing I mean??

5th Gear

Status
    I too have genuine S4 xenon headlights in mine, from the extensive research i have done it seems that factory xenons suffer more than the standard halogen units, must be something to do with the heat difference ,if you look at the " o " ring fix on Audizine you will see that the U. S. spec xenon headlight has a completely different casing and all the adjusters are in different places, just interested what you removed as you say you have done the " o" ring mod, our friends over the pond also do what they call the umbrella mod but in all honesty i am yet to find definite fix.
    18" RS6'S//TWIN EXHAUST//ALLARD EGR DELETE//AERO WIPERS//B7 KEYS & ENGINE COVERS//BLACK OPTICS //FRONT & REAR S-LINE BUMPERS//TAILGATE SPOILER//S4 HEADLIGHTS,GRILLS & DOOR BLADES//RS4 RARB & PEDALS//FRONT,REAR & FOOTWELL AMBIENT LIGHTING//PUDDLE LIGHTS//FAN JETS//MEDIA SYSTEM//T.V//7" HEADREST MONITORS//REAR BLINDS//REVERSE CAMERA// CRUISE & DIS

1st Gear

Status

headlight keep fogging up

Yeah the bi-xenon are the worst..

Only ment to say that even with O-ring fix and extensive amount of silicone around it, I still suffer from moisture in my left headlight.. So tried soapy water and air pressure inside the housing and it revealed two cracks ..
    Just wondering if they are the reason it's fogging...

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    I didn't make a gasket(umbrella) I just snugged some silicone around the assembly..
    My point is, that water still enters, but from where.. And that's were I found those two crack.. They gotta be the ones causing it..

So, use soapy water on the housing, blow air through the upper vent, and any crack will be visible

5th Gear

Status
    It's my o/s one that has this issue the other one is fine, i will try pumping air into it and see what happens, i was just curious as to what you removed to get to the "o" ring as i can't see anything on mine that can be removed.

Roll on summer as no problem once temp picks up even in heavy rain.

1st Gear

Status
    If you have the bi-xenon S4(grey internal) there should be an assembly where you adjust your light vertically..

1st Gear

Status
    Pics from audizine..
    Isn't this the one you got??

5th Gear

Status
    image.jpg

I have single xenons ( grey innards ), thats obviously where the difference is ( bottom pic )

1st Gear

Status
    Ah ok.. Yeah a smaller projector and some housing diffenrences.. That's why you don't have the option to do the O ring fix.. But that just leaves one problem out for you
    That's the main reason for fogging on the bi's..
    All water gets collected and passes the shrunken o ring..

Try the compressed air in to the housing thing.. And you'll find your cracks..
    Could be the sealing between front lens and housing also.. It'll show anyway

5th Gear

Status
    I am determined to find it, i know a bit anal but it's bloody annoying and Audi want nearly £300 for a new unit .

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah and it'll fog up sooner or later..

1st Gear

Status
    Some news.. I've found that the back cover crack where the ballast sits.. So filled up the holes with silicone..
    It was some wet inside as it had just rained when I took
    It apart.. So definitely worth searching for cracks'n'holes

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    This is used on caravans....maybe helpful on these headlights!

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure!

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4_dan View Post
    This is used on caravans....maybe helpful on these headlights!

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure!

Dan
    Nice.. Already filled it with silicone..
    I'll try to find a similar product here..