Best Tyres

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another boring "what tyres" question for you, sorry. I need two new fronts, and have noticed a couple of people suggesting that Goodyyear F1s are the best they've tried (Scotty for one). I've currently got Avon's which I'm not overly pleased with.

To be honest, my driving consists mainly of running up and down the motorway/A roads to work and back each day, so I'm more concerned with tyre wear than performance. I obviously want reasonable traction but I'm no rally driver so it's not as high a priority.

On mytyres.co.uk they have a useful link showing test results. The F1's only get a 2.9 out of 6 for tyre wear (but an impressive 1.6 for grip and braking). The Dunlop SP Sport 3000's get a 1.5 for tyre wear (and 1.7/1.5 for grip and braking respectively), and they're cheaper (£57.90 each).

Anyone have any experience of the Dunlop's or any suggestions as to alternatives?

Cheers for the help as always.

Mike

I've only tried Dunlop tyres once years ago on my VR6 golf, and I'm sure they've got newer types now, all I remember is that I wanted to wear them out as quick as possible and get something that actually tried to stick to the road on instead....

The mytyres prices have always struck me as expensive, ring around the local tyre shops and ask for their best quote and then try them off against one another - I often find that works out with you getting the best price in the area matched with the most convenient (or most careful with your alloys) tyre shop.

We have F1's on both our cars at the moment, they're pretty good with excellent tyre life. They don't tram line like the oem continentals did and they almost as good as the bridgestone S03's that I used to use but last much longer. Their limitation seems to be in the cold where they don't seem (to me) to grip as well as the bridgestones.

But then I take the view that a good tyre is worth a little extra, it's cheap life insurance...

Cant comment on the DUnlops, but wholeheartedly reccoment the F1's.. though SimonP is right, then take a short while to warm up in the cold, and you notice the difference.. but when they are warm they are simply superb!

Yup. F1's are good. As a Michelin Primacy Sports (if you've got that much moola lying around)

my car came with 15" crappy rims and michelin tyres the grip was good, i changed to 17" rims off ebay they had dunflop 235/45 9000's with 6/7 mm of tread and was like driving on ice with the rear end sliding on roundabouts (this was with my baby in the back and driving like a granny) i've just fitted F1 gsd3's no more spinning or sliding just pure grip the best £300 i've spent this year

i had Toyo F1s on my S3, good for the money IMHO

Thanks for the tips guys. I ignored most of your advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and went for the Dunlops based on the tyretest.com ratings for wear and performance, and the fact that they were cheaper than F1's. Will give you my thoughts next week when I've run them in.

As per my post in the General forum, blackcircles gave me a cracking deal and are now offering 5% off all orders for anyone using the below link.

Black Circles 5% Discount

Cheers

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, my driving consists mainly of running up and down the motorway/A roads to work and back each day, so I'm more concerned with tyre wear than performance. I obviously want reasonable traction but I'm no rally driver so it's not as high a priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've made the right choice - I've heard people getting over 30k out of Dunlops with the same driving style as yourself.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

F1's, F1's, F1's all day long. Tried most tyres on a range of cars and nothing come close for dry/wet grip and wear overall.

Speaking to the owners of two local well respected tyre places they all have F1's.

But your choice as we always say on here.

My 0353 2.5TDI multitronic had Dunlop SP9090s fitted as OE on 235/45 17s. For the first 5k miles, they were very good, but deteriorated rapidly thereafter - including a reluctance to dig themselves out of the tracks made by freight vehicles. Once the dunlops started wearing, they wore out unevenly, leaving me thinking that I had a tracking problem.

I've currently got Contis on the front - not overly impressed (F1s weren't available locally at the time). 10k motorway miles and they're almost worn out. They do grip well though, are able to successfully dig themselves out of the ruts and weren't bothered by a stretch of snow chain use - and they wear nice and evenly.

With a 850 miles per week being added to my odo, it won't be long before Contis become Goodies - all round Goodiness.

I've owned SP9090's and Eagle F1's and they both wear at about the same rate, all things being equal.

The best tire I've owned that had decent grip, treadwear, and price was the Falken Azenis ST115. Grip levels were about the same as the Dunlops but not quite as good as the F1's. They took about 25k miles to wear out whereas the others wore out at about 15k.miles.

I liked the Falken's so much I've got 2nd pair on now. I've got about 60k miles on the car now with about 5k miles on the tires and they still look new. I drive 50% expressway (80mph) and 50% city.