Genius required

bob2312

Reaction score
1 Central locking stopped working remotely,2 Rear doors don't lock or even show up on dashboard display when opened ,3 When any of doors opened no interior light , 4 Alarm stopped working, only goes off when I have locked doors with key then after unlocking goes off about 20 seconds later,5 The doors have stopped locking when in motion, 6 When I lock the doors with key only the drivers door opens and have to turn on ignition to get front passengers to open,apart from these minor issues car drives perfectly,had at Garage 4 times he thinks the rear locks have gone and is trying to source some replacements, just had serviced and mot so £250 pounds lighter someone out there must have an ides,thanks

Have you had it scanned for fault codes?

I would suspect maybe the alarm siren batteries have leaked and fried the PCB, or the comfort and convenience module under the front passenger seat has got wet. Check the carpet to make sure it's dry there, are the drain holes under the battery free?

Or it could be a multitude of fault microswitches?

I'd go with door locks, or ccm mate.

I have VAG-COM if you want a scan doing to see what comes up to get a better idea? It would be better than going in blind so to speak, as that can soon lead to wasted money.

I would go with broken wires inside where the doors hinge or bad connections in the plugs that are in the same area... they can cause lots of different problems... intermittent speaker's, central locking, door light's, puddle lights, interior lights... all go trough this ... I've done repairs on 3 B6's all with broken wires inside the rubber gaiter at the hinges

Thanks for all your suggestions,will pass them on ,it has had a diagnostic but it was all error codes but did not indicate what was going wrong

Agreed, plug all those codes into the wiki and see what they diagnose. Here are three straight away that will point towards your issues, broken wires in the door hinge are a good place to start by the looks of it.

Have you checked to see if the carpet is wet yet?

For example: 1333 -

01333 - Door Control Module Rear Left (J388)
01333 - Door Control Module Rear Left (J388): Defective
Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Door Control Module Rear Left (J388) faulty
Door Control Module Rear Left (J388) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Door Control Module Rear Left (J388)
Check/Replace Door Control Module Rear Left (J388)

1559:

01559 - Drivers Door; 59-00 Can't Unlock / 60-00 Won't save
Possible Symptoms

You cannot lock or unlock the Drivers Door

Possible Causes

Mechanical failure in the doorlock
Mechanical failure is cables
Short to Groud / B+ in wiring

Possible Solutions

Check wiring and connections
Check mechanical cables
Replace the doorlock

1331:

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386): Supply Voltage Too Low
Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
Power Supply (Battery/Generator) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
Check Power Supply (Battery/Generator)

Special Notes

When found in an individual control module, it's most likely a local source (e.g. wiring/connectors).
When found in multiple control modules at the same time, it's most likely a common source (e.g. ground spot, battery, generator).
Intermittent codes are often stored during low outside temperature when the battery capacity goes down and may be ignored.

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386): Faulty
Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
Door Control Module Driver Side (J386) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
Check Door Control Module Driver Side (J386)

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386): Single-Wire Operation
Possible Symptoms

Data Bus Comfort working in Single-Wire Mode

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Door Control Module Driver Side (J386)
Control Module in CAN Data Bus Comfort faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Door Control Module Driver Side (J386)

There's alot of padding under that carpet. I'd get it lifted and properly check for water.

I would check inside those rubber gaiters at the door hinges first before I started ripping up carpets... honestly it's a really common problem for the wires to break

Agreed, and from the fault codes I've referenced for you it's the most likely issue.