Jim's Black B6 Avant

Well the deal on the alloys fell through, but not to worry.
9J on the rear? Don't mind if I do

We need more pictures of the new wheels!

I have just sold my bora and have also brought a Black S-Line B6 Avant!

What do we know that others dont!

I can't remember what is stamped on them, and they're in the garage sorry. I bought them from a member on another forum I'm on as he bought them in error thinking they would fit the older Audi's with 5x100 fitment such as the Mk1 TT.

These are the alloys I bought, I just forgot to take a picture of the actual alloys as I was too busy taking teasers before sticking them in the garage :laugh:

My spigot rings turned up today

Also I ordered some cheap center badges to pop in for now, as one of the originals had the triangle bit missing. I'm going to get some better ones when I have them refurbed in summer.

Never got a chance to get any tyres yesterday, so the AMG's aren't on yet.

Anyway I bought a snow foam lance the other day so thought I would clean the car to test it out.

I've never used one before, but now I have I have no idea how I've managed without one. The car hasn't been cleaned since November so it was really dirty, but after a go with the snow foam it only needed a quick wipe and it was mint.

The sun had moved over the back of the house by the time I had finished so I couldn't get a decent photo of the whole car, but this gives you a good idea of its cleanliness

As said I couldn't get a good one of the whole car due to lighting, but thought this was a nice picture

Hit a slight, well I say slight, but it's actually a MASSIVE issue today.

Took the wheels out of the garage to clean them up ready for the arrival of the 215/40/18 tyres and test fit them. This is where the poo hit the flicker so to speak.

The bolt holes are too small for the Audi wheel nuts to fit through

So I'm now at the point where I get them bored out, or take my tyres off and sell them. I'm hoping my dad can drill them out for me at work as I don't fancy doing it myself incase I don't keep it straight.

How I wish I had test fitted them before ordering the 215s as I'm now skint, meaning if my dad can't do it I've not got the money to pay anyone.

Anyway have a pic of the actual alloys as I never took one when I picked them up

So this happened today

There now appears to be two sets of AMG alloys in the garage?

I think I may have a problem

superb write up
Where do you put the axle stands? I have a 2007 b8
cheers

Bought a staggered set, then when I came to test fit them found out that the wheel bolt he's were too small. I didn't know that some mercedes have M12 wheel bolts, and some have M14 like ours. I was going to have the holes drilled out, but there were other issues also, so I decided to just sell them on.

These popped up on eBay 6 miles away so I went to look at them, and after a test fit and some negotiation on the price I drove away with them. These are all 8.5" wide though where the first set are staggered 8" + 9"

excellent posts there buddy also very common to have to get the merc alloys holes enlarged most engineering places should be able to do it :)

Cheers mate

It's the first time I've owned a set of merc alloys so I never knew they had different sizes, it seems a bit stupid to me if I'm honest.

I could have had them done foc by my dad, but I've decided to move them on instead.

no worrys how did u get on replacing the snub mount as its on my list if things to do next on mine :(

I haven't done it yet, I'm hoping to spend a full day tinkering with the car on Monday, but it's all weather dependant really.

Good work... like the "How too's" very helpfull...... out of interest why have you only gone for 215 width tyres ??? are you after the stretched look ?

Cheers, I should hopefully have a couple more by Monday evening.

I doubt I will fit the 215's to this set mate. I would have needed a bit of stretch with the other set as the fronts were ET 30, but these are a more friendly ET 47. I'm going to get the 225's fitted and then test fit them tomorrow and go from there, but if I don't need stretch I won't have any as it's a daily.
I will probably space them out a bit though so who knows, I just hope I've already got the right tyres so I don't need to buy any more ha ha.

Well today has been a long day that started off in a rather bad way. I had a delivery that was the completely wrong item, so I had to spend a couple of hours sorting that out.

After that was sorted I took some alloys up to the tyre fitters to get some tyres swapped over so I could do some test fitting of the second set of AMG alloys.

The rears were fine to fit straight on, but I plan on spacing them out a bit as there is still a bit of tuck.

The fronts would fit, but they were literally 1-2 mm away from fouling when jacked up, so began the tedious and long winded task of ringing round alloy wheel centres, and tuners in the Greater Manchester area to find some spacers and longer bolts.

I ended up getting a pair of 10mm spacers from a company in Stockport, and the bolts from Awesome GTI in Irlam.

I think I'm going to put these 10mm spacers on the rear, and order some 8mm ones to put on the front, but for now they need to be on the front so I can run them.
By the time I got home from driving around (in loads of traffic) I was starving and stressed out so I had some tea then cracked on with the fitting in the dark. I only got finished at 8pm so it was too dark for pics, I did try, but the iPhone is pants in the dark.

If it helps I think there's 6mm difference in wheel protrusion between front and rear..... meaning that you need wider spacers on the rear than you do the front.... obviously my wheels are a different offset to yours but to get exactly arch flush with a straight edge resting on the tyres I have 20mm spacers on the rear and 14mm (machined down from another set of 20mm) on the front.... so as I say 6mm more on the back

Reactions: SmoothAssault
Yeah mate I believe it's to do with the handling. They come with a wider track on the front so that you get less understeer I think?

are you putting it on coilovers Jim? How low and tucked are you planning to go? Did you use to have a bors that was blue and white if im correct? Also assuming you saw my comment on another thread asking if you could VAGCOM my cruise control for a few quid :whistle2: or a few beers. beer is good!

Yes mate I'd did have a blue/white Bora before, I'm currently breaking it for parts to fund mods to the Audi.

Yeah I've got some coils for it, but I'm not going for stupid lows. I'll probably bring the back down 10-15mm, and the front 30mm as it's a sport so is already a bit lowered.

Just seen it now, if you can dig up the thread with all the info and correct coding needed I should be able to do it no problem.

That would be brilliant if you could do that. Have you managed to sort out the AMG alloys? Looking forward to seeing pictures

Jim what rear led bulbs did you fit? Can you please post a link? Cheers mate

A couple of updates from the last few days

I wanted to get a pic of it clean, but I've had too much on to wash it.

Really need to get the coilovers on now to get the front end down

The spacing on the front is pretty much bang in line with the arch so I've ordered some more spacers for the rear today.

Also this perforated steering wheel popped up on eBay this afternoon for an absolute bargain, so I bought it. I can't wait to explain this one to the wife

So this just happened, whoops

Also got to love Audi's safety picture inside the steering wheel

I was going to put amg wheels on my saloon but ended up going to tigerclaws.
Lookin good though fella.

Cheers mate.

I did think about 19s to fill the arches out a bit better, but it would be too uncomfortable and the roads are pants round here

Same here
Pothole city
The 19s do fuill better but I'm running 10j rears with adapters :(
9j front
Looks mint but not practical with coils wound down haha
Ruined my arches and tyres

I can imagine, what's the final ET on the rears? Also do you have a build thread so I can have a gander?

No build thread mate I'm afraid, il get one together soon haha
Been meaning to for over a year lol
I can't remember et now,
The fronts sat flush with a 25mm adapter on a 9j with 215/35/19s
The rears had the adapter milled down to 18mm and It needs milling down about another 5mm (ish)
These had 225/35/19s on
Il not hijack though mate but il try and get some sort of thread started later