New to site andlooking for knowledge

donaldson13

Reaction score
hi am going to get my timiing belt changed soon and i was wondering if there is any other things i should get done at same time, my car is an 03 2.5tdi 180 quattro sport. i have seen on different threads saying about the thermostat being something to get changed at the same time. am jst not sure on what all need or would be a gd idea. i'd be thankful for any help given

welcome to the forum mate.

some people will change their water pumps when the belts are changed, makes sense really as if the pump goes, its off with all the belts anyway...

RE the thermostat - might be an idea to change it too. i just changed mine on my 1.9tdi at a cost of £11 for the stat and a bottle of coolant. :)

others will be along soon with more detailed replys. :)

HTH

Apart from the cambelt and def the water pump, I would do a full oil service, fuel filter, air filter and check all the glowpugs are working and the battery is on form for the winter.

Yes, do the waterpump and thermostat with good quality parts.
If all the belts are coming off the front then it would be silly not to for the sake of an extra few quid.

I got my cambelt kit from a seller from Germany on ebay (autosmotorcraft) which included everything and good quality parts, contitech belts.etc

RE the thermostat - might be an idea to change it too. i just changed mine on my 1.9tdi at a cost of £11 for the stat and a bottle of coolant. :)

On the 2.5 it's buried in behind the water pump so it's not such an easy job...

For this reason, while the front is off change idler/tensioner pulley (and bolt), belts, water pump, thermostat etc - anything less is false economy. I'm now breaking my 2.5 as the previous owner saw fit to save a few quid come service time...

Thanks for the info I think I'll add the water pump 2 my list and tensioners, was thinking ov getting belt kit from eurocarparts it's a contitech kit