1.9tdi flat battery

mattyb6

Reaction score
Right I have a 2003 1.9tdi awx

two days running now I've had a flat battery.
i really think it's the weather taking its toll.

i just need to know which battery is recommended ?

its had a new alternator about 3years ago, and it's getting new thermostat and temp sender next week, maybe new glow plugs too

^^^

Mine's Bosch which is ace but definitely on the heavy side, could go for a decent Lithium ion battery to avoid a compromise on weight although it'll be heavier on the wallet.

Was looking at the Bosch ones.
Never had to buy a battery before.

Il check the spec on my current battery an get equivalent or bigger.
I've got an old 7.5t truck battery there, might might work :D haha

Eurocarparts are doing big discounts at the moment. Just put your reg in & it'll show you a range of suitable batteries.

Reactions: SmoothAssault
could go for a decent Lithium ion battery to avoid a compromise on weight although it'll be heavier on the wallet.

What, a Li-ion battery to replace a lead acid? No chance!

I have a Bosch S4 013 that was given to me 2nd hand as a freebie - its huge.

What, a Li-ion battery to replace a lead acid? No chance!

I have a Bosch S4 013 that was given to me 2nd hand as a freebie - its huge.
I got a Bosch s4 aswell, I had to wiggle it in due to the size. Car hasn't started for 3days even with jump starts, and te s4 fired it right up.
ECP £95 which I didn't was bad tbh.

I got a Bosch s4 aswell, I had to wiggle it in due to the size. Car hasn't started for 3days even with jump starts, and te s4 fired it right up.
ECP £95 which I didn't was bad tbh.

Its hard work when your by yourself as well! Im pretty sure the S4 in mine will outlive the car.

Yeah I'm a big lad too, still struggled haha

my car is 03 plate, with new clutch, new suspension arms and new battery this year, in 10yrs time there's just guna be rust with a battery and suspension and clutch left haha :D

Reactions: BRILLO
See if the ECP code AONUK25 is active, though it is sometimes knocked off whilst they have specific sales on.

As above, get a Bosch, go for one with a large CCA rating

Why not? Far superior to lead acid in every way.

Both batteries have their advantages in different applications - cannot see how a lithium battery would work as well as a conventional lead-acid battery in a car.
Reasons being;
- Lithium batteries do not generally tend to like heat differences (I.e-cold winters & hot engines in the summer)
- When they vent or go wrong they tend to go off like a firework - not good in a car - where as a lead acid would probably leak.
- Probably would not like not being discharged often - car batteries tend to remain fairly in-capacity.

I agree lithium technology is great in the right place and for electric / hybrid cars but definitely not to replace a conventional car battery.

Reactions: pauldazzle
On the subject of batteries, can anyone recommend a battery jacket for our cars? I guess I should measure and just find something universal that fits? Has anyone else bothered with this?

Oh, good call on ECP, I use them a lot lately because their website is fairly easy to use, click and collect gives you a good price, and GSF isn't as close.

Reactions: BRILLO
On the subject of batteries, can anyone recommend a battery jacket for our cars? I guess I should measure and just find something universal that fits? Has anyone else bothered with this?

To be fair, I don't think battery jackets are particularly needed on our A4's.
Reason being the batteries are kept almost separate from the engine behind the panel - I have only ever seen battery jackets on cars where the battery is in amongst the engine bay - to help keep the battery getting too warm from the surrounding temperature.