Chris NottEM Tuning

Thread: MPG on the DIS

1st Gear

Status

MPG on the DIS

Hi

I decided to check the accuracy of the average fuel consumption for a tank. The DIS said 52mpg and my calculations (taken from mileage completed on a full tank against the number of litres to re-fill) were 46mpg. I was slightly alarmed to see such a difference. 1 or 2 I would accept but 6! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Has anybody else tried this? IS my method a proven way of calculating average mpg? Seems ok to me.

Cheers

Marko

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: MPG on the DIS

Neither method is exactly scientific so there's bound to be a discrepancy.
    What's a full tank? Even if you use the exact same pump at the same petrol station you'll still get a difference on when it clicks off. The only way to know for sure if the tank is full is to fill it until it overflows, which isn't ideal.

I would expect a 10% difference anyway so your 11.5% is pretty close

imported_bubstar

[ QUOTE ]
    I would expect a 10% difference anyway so your 11.5% is pretty close

[/ QUOTE ]

Got agree with Andy there, 10% is generally regarded as the 'over read' of most trip computers..

BUB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

I reckon the inaccuracy in the DIS reading is far greater than variation in actually filling the fuel into your tank. I'd estimate it should be possible to have no more than 2 litres of difference due to click-off variation between fills (assuming using the same pump, calibrated accurately, at the same filling station). Even if you overflow it, you will probably lose up to a litre.

On a 70 litre tank, the most I have ever put in is 64 litres - 2 litres of that 64 is 3.125% of the fill. It certainly is not going to be as much as 6.4 litres - 10% of the fill. As you point out, all the talk on DIS vs fill seem to confirm at least a 10% (over-read) discrepancy.

Just my 21.7ml's worth (at 92p a litre) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

I brim my tank all the time (the tank is too small for S4's) so there is consistency in comparison. I found the DIS on my 03 S4 Avant to be very accurate but the DIS on my old 04 S4 Avant and current 05 S4 Cab both over-read MPG by about 7%; ie I was getting about 1.5 worse mpg than the DIS suggested.

1st Gear

Status

I rather thought it would be the DIS that is over reading. There is no guarenteed accuracy of MPG with these methods. I would have thought that the DIS could be made to much more accurate, particularly in light of what is monitored in the engines. I guess the costs of such accuracy would not be viable.

Neutral

Status

I think its got nothing to do with cost. Its all about making cars appear more economical than they really are.

Status

I would imagine the DIS reading is accurate at say a consistent 56mph, but then becomes inaccurate above and below that speed. No idea why, but would seem logical, you can probably get to overead and under read depending on the style of driving.

Status

What I'd like to see is an option to input the price you paid for the fuel so that the DIS could show you in pence per mile, that would certainly focus the mind on driving less aggressively

1st Gear

Status

If your DIS is inaccurate you can adjust it.

Use Vag-com or ask the dealer to adjust it for you.

Module 17 - Instruments
    Adaptation Channel 03

Adjust channel 03 to a higher number. It has a valid range of 85-115. The higher the number the lower the MPG calculation will be.

6th Gear

Status

I'm not sure if I want to see the real lower mpg or not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

I agree, the DIS is low enough already, however, you would have thought in this day and age with all this tech, that it would be accurate to within a 10th of a litre. I had an Audi V8 (D1) once, that was accurate to the mile.